What's new

RT-AX88U drops connections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MatynK

Occasional Visitor
I have a RT-AX88U running firmware 3.0.0.4.384_9566 in AP mode. Nothing special has been setup, IP is assigned via DHCP, most other things are disabled.

After a random time, normally a few days, sometimes as much as a week, devices start to drop off of the network traffic wise, my laptop for example will show a connection to the router, but cannot pass traffic.
Trying to access the router config pages from a hard wired network, just gives timeouts also.

The only thing that seems to solve the problem is a reboot.

Currently I have scheduled a reboot at 3am every day, but its not an ideal solution.

Why are you customizing an AP setup?

Do a full reset to factory defaults including checking the box to 'Initialize all settings...' and then just set it in AP mode. Does it work then?

Like I said I am not customizing anything, almost everything is set to default in AP mode, things disabled are the likes of WPS, remote access and Authentication mode.

Disabled smart connect, setup details for 2.4 and 5GHZ networks, selected the channels, to move away from the large number in use around my flat.

I have done a full reset before, tried a earlier version of the firmware, but that did not make any difference.

Maybe the pertinent suggestions in the following thread can help (and btw, you are customizing).

I have (had?) the same problems for years now. Switching the Wifi channel also temporary fixes the problem, thats faster than reboot. There was nothing in the log, not even at debug level explaining this. ASUS Support gave up after a few weeks...

My latest solution:

1) I gave all my IOT devices a static IP
2) TOOLS --> Other --> "dhcpd: send empty WPAD with a carriage return" to NO

That seemed to fix the problem i did not loose a connection for 3 days now... maybe that was it?^^

I have (had?) the same problems for years now. Switching the Wifi channel also temporary fixes the problem, thats faster than reboot. There was nothing in the log, not even at debug level explaining this. ASUS Support gave up after a few weeks...

My latest solution:

1) I gave all my IOT devices a static IP
2) TOOLS --> Other --> "dhcpd: send empty WPAD with a carriage return" to NO

That seemed to fix the problem i did not loose a connection for 3 days now... maybe that was it?^^

Thanks for the reply, a few things maybe I should add.

My IOT devices, don't really seem to have much of an issue, a lot of these like my Ring door bell and Nest smoke alarms drop on and off the network all day.
Its the likes of my laptop and the wife's desktop that have issues. Working from home I am using it to remote to the office, the Wifi drops, my office connection drops, so a pain point.

For DHCP, I don't use my router as its in AP mode (which I believe means DHCP is not supported anyway), I am using Windows 2019 as my local DNS and DHCP server, this way I have all the extended options that I need for various things.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!