What's new

RT-AX88U enabled AX slows wifi extremely

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

--Manu--

Occasional Visitor
Hello and excuse my non-perfect english, it is not my native language.

I have no problems in understanding, but mistakes can creep in when writing.

My home network consists of the following network components:
  • RT-AX88U (Merlin 384.14)
  • RT-AX92U (lastest original ASUS 3.0.0.4.384_6437-g22b36d7) AI Mesh Node

Clients:
  • Desktop PC connected with ethernet to the RT-AX92U
  • Some wifi-clients like smartphones, google home, satellite receiver, chromebook...nothing special

Symptoms:

It doesn't matter which firmware I use (merlin or original asus) or which version (latest, betas or previous)...if AX/HE-Frame is activated, following happens to every 5GHz client in my wifi (also the PC connected via ethernet to the RT-AX92U):

The first time everything is working fine. But randomly after 10 Minutes or 1 hour...sometimes it is working for several hours, my 5GHz-wifi slows extremely down (2.4GHz is not affected).

• The ping of every client to the RT-AX88U is up to 2000ms
    (direct connected clients and also clients connected to the Mesh Node AX92U)
  • internet speed (did several speedtests) is reduced my nearly 50%
  • Website loading (including the RT-AX88U's web GUI) is extremely slow

If i dis- and reconnect a client, it is working again for some time for this client...and then it starts all over again.

The log shows no abnormalities,it also doesn't matter which channel and which frequency i use (DFS or non-DFS, 80MHz oder 160MHz,....). Even functions like QoS or the TrendMicro stuff have no influence on the result.

By the way: I am using Smartconnect with no special settings (did not touch the setting in the wifi professional tab).

I have been trying to solve the problem for 2 weeks.
I specially bought the AX88U and AX92U so I could use the AX-Backhaul-Connection beetween the router and the mesh node.
I am currently only using AC due to the problem...but then I could have bought a router and a mesh node without AX functionality^^

Does anyone have similar experiences?

My wifi settings with disabled AX are attached.
EDIT: With enabled AX it is the same.

Greetings

wifi-1.JPG wifi-2.JPG wifi-3.JPG

AX is not supported on backhaul/mesh at this time. Don't know when it will be.

AX is not supported on backhaul/mesh at this time. Don't know when it will be.
Hi, keen to double-check this - certainly *seems* to be supported on backhaul link, at least as reported by the wireless logs. Then again, "supported" as in it seems to be enabled.. though this very thread (and mine https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax88u-ax92u-x2-aimesh-combo.60655/#post-533267) are reporting issues when it is so perhaps the problem? Though, surely, if not supported then the routers shouldn't be negotiating an AX backhaul link?

Sorry, let me be clearer. It is likely that AX/HE link rates and modulation is being used in backhaul links. What is unlikely to be used is OFDMA. This means that an AX radio isn't using assigning some of its RUs (bandwidth) to fronthaul (client devices) and some to backhaul.

I know Qualcomm hasn't enabled OFDMA for mesh and I think it's unlikely Broadcom has either. But I will check with ASUS.

(again: excuse my bad english).

That means I buy an AX-router from Asus with AX enabled by default.
Now i buy another AX-router from the same manufacturer, enable the ai-mesh and the backhaul is automatically set up with AX...and that is not supported by ASUS?

No warning information? No "not supported yet" notification?

For example: I tested the latest ASUS firmware (with WPA3 support). If i try to enable WPA3, the AX88U gives me the notification, that WPA3 is not working in my mesh and would break it.

I believe your statement @thiggins but that would be really strange and
disappointing :-(

Let's be honest: At the moment there are almost no ax-devices on the market.
The primary and almost only benefit to buy AX-(Mesh)-components is the high backhaul-bandwidth.

:-(

(again: excuse my bad english).

That means I buy an AX-router from Asus with AX enabled by default.
Now i buy another AX-router from the same manufacturer, enable the ai-mesh and the backhaul is automatically set up with AX...and that is not supported by ASUS?

No warning information? No "not supported yet" notification?

For example: I tested the latest ASUS firmware (with WPA3 support). If i try to enable WPA3, the AX88U gives me the notification, that WPA3 is not working in my mesh and would break it.

I believe your statement @thiggins but that would be really strange and
disappointing :-(

The primary and almost only benefit to buy AX-(Mesh)-components is the high backhaul-bandwidth.

:-(
Why use Mesh at all? I would not because of security reasons like WPS.

And you should get that if HE/AX rates are enabled. OFDMA is meant to address wireless efficiency, i.e. higher total throughput using multiple devices.

Why use Mesh at all? I would not because of security reasons like WPS.
You turn off WPS asone as your Aimesh node is connected then its not needed any more.