1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AX88U FCC Docs all posted.

Discussion in 'ASUS AC / AX Routers & Adapters' started by thiggins, Aug 23, 2018.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Internal pix are posted.

Confirms it is Broadcom based.
    asus_rtax88u_board.png
    Radio SoCs: BCM43684KRFBG
    CPU: Broadcom, but no clear photo. WikiDevi says BCM49408 (1.8 GHz, 4 cores)
    Switch: BCM53134
    RAM: 1 GB
    Flash: 256 MB

The switch appears to have only gigabit ports. It has one SGMII 1G/2.5G port to support higher internal bus speed.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Gitsum likes this.
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

4. Internet Man

Internet Man Senior Member

There was some discussion about the RT-AX88U's CPU in this thread: ASUS Expands 11ax Lineup And Sets Ship Date

While the ASUS product page claims it is dual core, an admin on the ASUS ROG forums says it's quad-core and the press release says, "the RT-AX88U is controlled by a potent quad-core processor." The Talk Page for the device at WikiDevi has links to these various sources.

I would be surprised if it actually has an enterprise-class BCM49408 instead of the consumer-grade BCM4908 with identical specs.

5. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

I guess we'll have to wait for the product release then. There's always a chance Asus might have changed things during development, possibly based on intel received about their competitor's own products. Just surprised the ROG team would comment on this, since it's not one of the (also planned) GT-AXxxxxx models. Personally, I would expect Asus to do the same thing they did with the RT-AC86U and GT-AC5300: use the dual-core part for the mainstream device, and go with the quad-core part for the GT device.

Unless someone is a master at picture sharpening and could extract the part number out of that blurry photo on the FCC :)

Agreed on the 49408 part, historically Asus never went for these parts for their high-end enthusiast routers.

6. Odkrys

Odkrys Senior Member

It looks bcm4908 quad-core.
    There are "4 white things" on the left side of cpu.
    Nothing on bcm4906.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  7. Chas1723

Chas1723 New Around Here

I am very interested in this router.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

8. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

One of the crazy things to consider - at 28nm, the actual Broadcom B53 CPU cores are probably about 1 square millimeter each... maybe 1.5 mm2

Rest of the chip is switch fabric, SRAM/DRAM, various physical interfaces, power distribution across the entire chip, etc...

Looking at the design - keeping in mind my past experience, it's going to be a balanced design to meet performance goals - if Broadcom is ok with 2 B53 cores, that's ok - much of the performance of the platform is not in the cores themselves...

9. thiggins

Why?

jtjbt20x likes this.
  10. clvk07

clvk07 Regular Contributor

11. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Don't use a device configured for the wrong region. It's illegal, and can also have compatibility issues with your local clients.

clvk07 likes this.
  12. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

To answer your question, yes, much higher but less possible channels than EU.

13. maxbraketorque

maxbraketorque Senior Member

From my perspective, when I was trying to make one wifi router work for my entire house, I was curious about the AX88U because I thought there might be some range improvement with the AC radio, but now that I have started using two routers and no longer have a need for a max range router, I'm merely curious about the AC performance.

14. thiggins

AX's focus is capacity, cramming more bits into transmit slots. Range (point at which signal disappears or throughput is unusable) is determined primarily by RF propagation, which hasn't changed.

In other words, if you look at a Rate vs. Range plot like this one, AX is likely to move the curve up and perhaps lengthen the flat area at the top. But is is unlikely to extend the endpoint very much. cached_linechart_119_35_25384338.png
    A higher, flatter curve improves effective range by increasing bandwidth at the same physical point.

Maybe that would work for your home, maybe not. At any rate, it's going to be rough going for early draft 11ax adopters. This stuff is no way fully baked at this point.

15. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

And if history has taught us anything, for months we'll have 802.11ax APs, with no client whatsoever to connect to them except for another AP/router. :)

indark likes this.
  16. Internet Man

Internet Man Senior Member

BCM49408 has a similar appearance in the Internal Photos from https://fccid.io/WBV-AP650X

The BCM4908 and BCM49408 probably look the same though.

WBV-AP650X_BCM49408.png

17. Odkrys

Odkrys Senior Member

18. Sinner

Sinner Senior Member

wow! The hardware is nice but they srsly need to clean up the firmware still imo. I realize most of us bought these because we do like the advanced functions and like to tinker but to make thngs better not struggle to get features actually working in the 1st place. Id love to go buy one but its just not worth it yet imo.

These routers are like owning a ferarri that u cant get the engine running.

Chris313AllNight likes this.
  19. maylyn

maylyn Regular Contributor

Hi RMerlin,

It's have been a while (MIA due to work commitments and other stuff) and i'm back :)

Let me find out more whether the AX88U is 1.8GHz dual or quad core and the actual CPU where possible.

This Thursday, ASUS TW HQ/ASUS SG will be launching their 802.11ax networking event in Singapore, stay tuned.

PS ~> GT-AX11000 has ASUS Aura

Adamm likes this.
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!