What's new

RT-AX88U From Amazon UK - Not UK model?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JemTheWire

I purchased a AX88U from Amazon (UK). When it arrived, it has a 'continental' power adaptor, not one with a UK three-pin plug.

As I have lots of 2>3 pin adaptors about it's not really an issue. But, set me thinking. The router is working fine and it's GUI was/is in English on first power on.

I have registered the router with Asus. I suspect it is not a UK model simply because of the different power adaptor.

How can I check for sure and, if not a UK model, what issues might I get down the line?

As you can gather, I am a UK resident.

Thanks.

Was your router "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon", or was it from one of Amazon's "Marketplace Sellers"?

I always try to only buy stuff from Amazon directly to avoid any "grey imports".

Ah. I thought I was buying directly from Amazon, but you prompted me to check. It seems I got it from a ‘Market Place’ seller in my haste.

Provided it's an EU model it should be OK, apart from the inconvenience of the power supply.

I don't know whether this still applies to your router, but you might be able to issue the following commands from SSH to check the region.

nvram show | /bin/grep -E "ccode|country_code"

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX88U 384.9-0 Sat Feb 2 18:20:15 UTC 2019
Gromit@RT-AX88U:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | /bin/grep -E "ccode|country_code"
1:ccode=DE
2:ccode=DE
size: 70928 bytes (60144 left)
wl0_country_code=DE
wl1_country_code=DE
wl_country_code=

Looks like it German!

Can it be changed to UK or GB? If so, what commands do I need to enter?

Thanks again.

That's OK. AFAIK there's never been a model that was specifically regionalised for the UK/GB.

For example my (older) UK-released routers have an "EU" region. I think other people on these boards have reported the "DE" region as well. "DE" is frequently used to represent all EU countries because the radio regulations are harmonised across all EU countries (an advantage of being in the EU ;):rolleyes:).

The main thing was to make sure the region wasn't something like China or USA where the regulations, and hence channels and power levels, are different.

So hardware/software-wise there's no difference between your router and a "UK version" apart from the power adaptor. The only real concern for you is whether you can get it repaired or replaced from the company you bought it from if it becomes faulty.

UK got much more channels than EU two years ago!
http://wifinigel.blogspot.com/2018/05/updated-white-paper-on-license-exempt.html
http://wifinigel.blogspot.com/2017/10/uk-5ghz-wlan-spectrum-allocation-august.html
https://arstechnica.com/information...m-wi-fi-faster-in-the-uk-5ghz-80mhz-channels/

So there is a huge difference related to Wifi, but it is correct that Asus never changed their mind and still handles UK same as EU!
With other words, regulation is very different, but Asus routers (and maybe others too - I dont know) are the same except power plug.

Thanks for your info. Let's just hope that it doesn't go faulty.

I have to say that the wifi output on both2.4 and 5GHz is NOT as powerful as my AC88U. Same settings too.

I have to say that the wifi output on both2.4 and 5GHz is NOT as powerful as my AC88U. Same settings too.

That is the thing with a new router, the old settings we relied on may not be optimal anymore.

Are you using the same SSID's and passwords? Have you performed a 'sanitize' on your network with your new router? Did you experiment with the new router's defaults before testing custom settings? After flashing the latest firmware, did you do a reset to factory defaults with a minimal and manual configuration?

That is what I would be doing for a customer if they get a new router. The old values are nice to have as a baseline when testing is required beyond defaults, but it doesn't mean they are ideal for the new hardware and/or software and the capabilities those may bring.

your old router may be from 2014 when EU had not that limited transmit power rules 80mW and routers operated with about 200-500mW.
US allows 1W for ch. 149+, that makes huge differences to EU regulations.

Thanks. Yes, everything has been set up from scratch. Running Merlin 384.9 as per my signature.
I have separate SSID’s for 2.4 and 5GHz. The 2.4 band is only used for my TP-Link smart plugs. I have my Echo Dot’s on 5GHz and my Fire TV 4K are connected via an Ethernet adaptor anyway.

iPhone and iPad on 5GHz. Only AC beamforming is enabled.

your old router may be from 2014 when EU had not that limited transmit power rules 80mW and routers operated with about 200-500mW.
US allows 1W for ch. 149+, that makes huge differences to EU regulations.

It says ‘Date of Manufacture 2018’

5GHz channels go to 140 with 20/40/80

With Airtime Fairness disabled, correct? :)

Airtime Fairness is also disabled, yes.

UK got much more channels than EU two years ago!
Thanks for the updated info. Although it was only 18 months ago.
I'm not aware of this change.:confused: Do you have a link?

Last edited:
Sorry mis-read your post. Old router (AC88U) manufactured in 2015..
so good change it's using old power limits.

I had 86U from china and could change region to US, EU, Korea, Australia, China and others.
Tested them all and only with EU I got ch. 36-140 (but still without 120-128) and lot lowered power (=coverage).
My old 68U has been the best, you can set it to no region even with recent firmwares, so you get all channels (even 120-128 and 144) and all of them with good power (not as good as with 2014/2015 firmwares but much better than set to EU).

I'm not aware of this change.:confused: Do you have a link?
You are long enough member of this forum to know exactly about it!
They all have been deleted here in this forum.
Only Johns fork remaind with OLD wifi-driver branch. Why do you think he still offers updates for it? There is only one hidden and not allowed to tell about reason ...

Its like asking for TM-mod, no I cant give you any link to it and I'm even barred for PM, I only know how to as I saved all instructions, but dont need them anymore as I am selling all Asus equipment.

You are long enough member of this forum to know exactly about it!
They all have been deleted here in this forum.
Only Johns fork remaind with OLD wifi-driver branch. Why do you think he still offers updates for it? There is only one hidden and not allowed to tell about reason ...
I think we're talking at crossed purposes. I'm not asking you anything about how to change the router's power levels.

You said that "... when EU had not that limited transmit power rules 80mW ..." which I interpreted as you saying there was an EU regulation change which reduced country's permitted power levels. Hence me asking for a link to the relevant EU regulation documents.

Re-reading your original post I think you may have been saying that Asus had arbitrarily chosen to reduce the power levels in their EU routers. If this is what you meant then my new question would be, do you have any links to support this assertion?

AFAIK John's current firmware uses the same wireless driver as Merlin. Back in July 2018 I loaded up Merlin's current firmware on my RT-AC68U and compared the power output levels with John's. They were identical.

I think we're talking at crossed purposes. I'm not asking you anything about how to change the router's power levels.

You said that "... when EU had not that limited transmit power rules 80mW ..." which I interpreted as you saying there was an EU regulation change which reduced country's permitted power levels. Hence me asking for a link to the relevant EU regulation documents.

Re-reading your original post I think you may have been saying that Asus had arbitrarily chosen to reduce the power levels in their EU routers. If this is what you meant then my new question would be, do you have any links to support this assertion?

AFAIK John's current firmware uses the same wireless driver as Merlin. Back in July 2018 I loaded up Merlin's current firmware on my RT-AC68U and compared the power output levels with John's. They were identical.
I dont know whether EU changed any regulation rules.
To be more clearly what I meant was EU-setting on router!
I only know I had a fully working RT-AC68U for about 1 year and then troubles began with limited power and buggy firmwares.

You have to use Johns legacy firmware (CRACK missing but no prob without many neighbours), not the enhanced one with newer wireless drivers!
Then you get more power like in the past even if chosen EU.
Or load any really old stock firmwares, I got some of them saved.

Take your phone or any wifi analyzer app and make the tests on your own if you dont believe me.
It makes no sense to go higher than about 300mW as signals are going to be worse with more power and so real life throughput goes down while coverage still may go up.

But most users need the security uptdates so old firmwares are not usable at all.
As AP or repeater/bridge they are pretty good when you dont have to care about wifi surrounding.

From my tests I know right outside of the house I loose connection with my phones, 5m outside the door. With old firmware I still had 5Mb/s 50m away on the street inside the car.
And all 3 floors has been covered with 2,4G, not fast but good enough in all rooms.
Then I needed one router in every floor with all additional problems caused by this (no guest wifi, half speed WiFi as 40MHz bandwith not usable due to overlapping channels and so on).

They changed the product specs after over a year of purchase and did not take it back!!!
Instead I had to buy 2 more routers!

I never asked for NEW features or changing specs, all I wanted to have are security updates and bug fixes!!!

Last edited:
I dont know whether EU changed any regulation rules.
To be more clearly what I meant was EU-setting on router!
OK thanks for the clarification. As far as I'm aware there have been no regulation changes related to power.

You have to use Johns legacy firmware (CRACK missing but no prob without many neighbours), not the enhanced one with newer wireless drivers!
Then you get more power like in the past even if chosen EU.
FYI Either version of John's firmware will give you the old (legal) power levels of 100mW on 2.4GHZ and 200mW on 5GHz. Even with the newer driver it's still possible to increase the power output beyond this, although the method is probably not the same as people previously used ;).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!