What's new

[RT-AX88U] Help setting up routed IPTV

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wpte

Occasional Visitor
I'm facing a problem with a recent setting my provider KPN (from the Netherlands) changed for their interactive IPTV boxes.

Right now the setup is in bridged IPTV mode, where I simply just pass VLAN4 untagged to the IPTV box. (see attachment)

But, what they changed recently is that you'd need bridged IPTV, meaning: the box also requires internet (VLAN1). If not, any interactive options are disabled.

Fortunately someone created scripts to do just this on Asus routers: https://forum.kpn.com/interactieve-tv-11/routed-iptv-over-eigen-asus-router-rt-ac3200-434951 (it's Dutch but the scripts are commented in English). I do have a better source for these scripts including a manual, but this is the easiest way to show kinda what needs to happen.
Something like that seems to work just fine on a TY-AC87U for example, except routing performance is incredibly slow. So I don't want to use that one anymore, in fact I gave it away. I'm left with my RT-AX88U and unfortunately the RT-AX88U doesn't have robocfg anymore, but vlanctl.

I tried, very simply and quickly putting both VLAN1 (LAN) and VLAN4 (TV) both tagged on the port of the TV box, but unfortunately it's not able to get an IP. I suppose it's getting confused.
Can I make it work with a managed switch at all, do I need a different router? What to do. Can anyone give me a suggestion? It would be very appriciated. :)

Attachments

• Situation.jpg
    Situation.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 797
I'm facing a problem with a recent setting my provider KPN (from the Netherlands) changed for their interactive IPTV boxes.

I don't know if you have tried the basic settings that allow this to work with Asus Routers and BT IPTV here in the UK.

On the LAN-IPTV tab in LAN settings, try the following:

Select ISP Profile: None
Choose IPTV STB Port: None
Use DHCP routes: Microsoft
Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy): Enable

If that doesn't work try choosing Manual Setting from the ISP Profile list and play with the various options.

Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy): Enable

That's the part that doesn't work on an RT-AX88U. You can't assign a switch port to a VLAN and also enable IGMP proxy at the same time.
Maybe it looks like that when doing something custom, but after saving and applying the settings, it will show that message
Due to hardware limitation, IGMP proxy cannot co-exist with IPTV function.

That's the part that doesn't work on an RT-AX88U. You can't assign a switch port to a VLAN and also enable IGMP proxy at the same time.
Maybe it looks like that when doing something custom, but after saving and applying the settings, it will show that message

Hello,
I have kind of the same problem : Setting up tagged Vlan for IPTV on AX88
Did you finally managed to make it work ?
Thank you :)

Does anyone have an update about this? Would like to know which new Asus Router i could use in additione to my Asus XT8 Mesh. At this moment i use the older and AES-NI lacking openVPN acceleration.
Any help would be usefull. I have KPN/ XS4ALL ISP.

Thank you in advance

@demerx @Quentin Dumay @wpte

I just got routed IPTV working on AC86U - should be able to do the same on AX88U.

That's great. Thank you for sharing.
Would you be able to help me on that :
In order to make IPTV and many services of my TV box work, I'm looking for the way to create a VLAN Tagged 100 between the WAN port and one port of the switch of my router (AX88). And of course to keep a regular untagged network on the same port (I have another switch on the TV side)

I'm not very good in network scripting

That's great. Thank you for sharing.
Would you be able to help me on that :
In order to make IPTV and many services of my TV box work, I'm looking for the way to create a VLAN Tagged 100 between the WAN port and one port of the switch of my router (AX88). And of course to keep a regular untagged network on the same port (I have another switch on the TV side)

I'm not very good in network scripting
The looking at your other posts it looks like you have a Freebox - is it bridged?

I based my setup on the Dutch KPN fiber posts I saw in the forum (except my the vlans are flipped - IPTV on vlan6, Internet on vlan4 with a pppoe conection).

I assume you have the merlin build installed - if so open a ssh connection to the AX88U and paste in (not certain if your WAN port is eth0 like on my AC86U though):
Code:
/sbin/vconfig add eth0 100
The bridged Freebox should be connected to the AX88U WAN port and plugin the Freebox player to one of its LAN ports (to test) - does that get you anything on the TV?

The looking at your other posts it looks like you have a Freebox - is it bridged?

I based my setup on the Dutch KPN fiber posts I saw in the forum (except my the vlans are flipped - IPTV on vlan6, Internet on vlan4 with a pppoe conection).

I assume you have the merlin build installed - if so open a ssh connection to the AX88U and paste in (not certain if your WAN port is eth0 like on my AC86U though):
Code:
/sbin/vconfig add eth0 100
The bridged Freebox should be connected to the AX88U WAN port and plugin the Freebox player to one of its LAN ports (to test) - does that get you anything on the TV?

Yes I do have a freebox.
It is not bridged for now as I didn't ùmanage to make it work with the freebox player plugged on my AX88.
My current configuration is :
Freebox in router mode with only 2 devices plugged : Freebox player and Wan port of my AX88 (in DMZ)
So 2 separate LANs

If I understood what you're suggesting correctly : I just need to add vlan100 on eth0 using this line of command (and of course turn the freebox on bridge mode) ?
If so I'll try it tonight ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!