What's new

RT-AX88U issue while telecommuting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wwd

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm experiencing a weird issue with my new Asus RT-AX88U while working from home.

So our company has a telecommuting solution which first tries to connect through ESP transport mode (because of the better performance against SSL) and falls back to SSL transport mode if the connection is not satisfactory.

The thing is whenever I'm connected through my Asus RT-AX88U (Wi-Fi or cable, doesn't matter [All of the below was performed with a cable directly connected to the Asus router]) my VPN client on the company laptop always fails to connect through ESP mode and falls back to SSL immediately.

At first I thought it was my ISP connection that caused the issues, so I wanted to make sure and disconnected my company laptop from my RT-AX88U and connected it directly to my ISP's modem (it's a modem only, not an all-in-one device). Connected the VPN and voila I was connected in ESP mode immediately and SSL fallback never occured, meaning it wasn't my ISP connection that caused the issue but my router.

Then I thought, maybe it's not so weird, I have few non-default settings active on my router, so possibly something on the router is not working as expected and I started to troubleshoot. My RT-AX88U was loaded with Merlin firmware 384.15 and also had diversion and skynet installed.

• Attempt 1:
    Uninstalled diversion and skynet to go back to a "factory/default" merlin firmware = No Success, VPN ESP fails and falls back to SSL
  • Attempt 2:
    Downloaded official Asus firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.7977, because maybe it was related to the Merlin Firmware, so wanted to test the Asus factory firmware = No Success, VPN ESP fails and falls back to SSL
  • Attempt 3:
    With the official Asus firmware, I've disabled all the possible "extra's" (disabled firewall completely, QoS, and whatever fancy stuff that was running) to make it an as basic router as possible = No Success, VPN ESP fails and falls back to SSL
  • Attempt 4:
    Took my "old" Ubiquity EdgeRouter X (nothing fancy configured on this router). Connected my company laptop directly to this router = Success, I was connected in ESP mode immediately and SSL fallback never occured.

So it seems that the RT-AX88U causes these issues. I have no idea why this is happening. What could be causing this incompatibility? As you can see above I've made several attempts to put the Asus in it's most default form as possible and still it behaves like this.
    With the Ubiquity this issue never occurs and also when connected directly to my modem without router it also works without issues.

For the record, outside of this issue my Asus works fine (as far as I notice).

Simply uninstalling or disabling extra scripts or features does not give you a true factory fresh reset to factory defaults configuration.

Flashing between RMerlin and Asus stock firmware (and vice versa) is wreaking havoc too with the firmware's defaults too.

Flash the firmware you want to test and then do a full reset to factory defaults including checking the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox to do a proper test.

What you've done now and where the router is 'at' is anyone's guess.

Flash the firmware you want to test and get the router to a good/known state before you make conclusions that may be wrong/inappropriate. :)

Simply uninstalling or disabling extra scripts or features does not give you a true factory fresh reset to factory defaults configuration.

Flashing between RMerlin and Asus stock firmware (and vice versa) is wreaking havoc too with the firmware's defaults too.

Flash the firmware you want to test and then do a full reset to factory defaults including checking the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox to do a proper test.

What you've done now and where the router is 'at' is anyone's guess.

Flash the firmware you want to test and get the router to a good/known state before you make conclusions that may be wrong/inappropriate. :)

Thanks,

My issue was solved after factory reset with 'Initialize all settings...'. Now I'm back on the Merlin firmware with diversion and skynet active and it still works.

Just a guess but possibly my mistake was that I didn't perform a factory reset when I moved from the original Asus firmware to the Merlin firmware.

@wwd that is most likely what the problem was. :)

Glad that you fixed it quickly and effectively. ;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!