RT-AX88U Max wifi uplink speed at 150Mbps

  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

kidd232

Occasional Visitor
My ISP speed is 500M/250M, and PC can reach the max speed with wire, but all my mobile phones only reach 500M/150M in speedtest app, can't reach the max uplink speed.

I have already test iPhone XS Max, 12 Pro Max, 8 Plus, all get the same result, and I check the device all connect to 5G band and speed shows 1200/1200 or 866/866 in Wireless Log page.

Attached pics are my current settings, I have tried to change all the settings in the pages, can someone help the question?
 

Attachments

  • general 2.4g.png
    general 2.4g.png
    412.4 KB · Views: 37
  • general 5g.png
    general 5g.png
    230.6 KB · Views: 38
  • pro 2.4g.png
    pro 2.4g.png
    281.6 KB · Views: 35
  • pro 5g.png
    pro 5g.png
    292.1 KB · Views: 37

FTC

Senior Member
Hi, I'd check the following :
- Interferences around your router (other wifi's, bluetooth or USB devices around..)
- AiProtection / QoS / traffic monitor activated (*) ? try to disable those features by withdrawing those in adminitration->Privacy GUI tab, just to test and eliminate this as a factor.
Besides, what version of Merlin are you on ? there was one of the 386.1 betas (if I remember correctly) that had a similar problem (because of the GPL it was based on) and was related to (*)
 

John Fitzgerald

Senior Member
My ISP speed is 500M/250M, and PC can reach the max speed with wire, but all my mobile phones only reach 500M/150M in speedtest app, can't reach the max uplink speed.

I have already test iPhone XS Max, 12 Pro Max, 8 Plus, all get the same result, and I check the device all connect to 5G band and speed shows 1200/1200 or 866/866 in Wireless Log page.

Attached pics are my current settings, I have tried to change all the settings in the pages, can someone help the question?
Have you tried 20/40 on 2.4G band and enabling TX Bursting on both bands and changing DTIM to 3 for Apple both bands and turning MIMO off on 5G.

You can experiment with Explicit Beamforming on both bands, off. Some like it off for 2G and on for 5G.
 
Last edited:

CaptnDanLKW

Regular Contributor
I have an AC86U with the AI Protection featured enabled but no QOS. My ISP is 600/10 and I also have an 8Plus and an 11Pro Max, so similar. I've found that all the AI Features (protection, Traffic logging, Website tracking, etc) do not add a load, but others have different experiences.

Wireless speed max with 2 AC streams is 866, but with less than optimal signals this is typical for me...
1618319072686.png


In the past the rule of thumb was to expect about 1/2 what the negotiate rate was. Thankfully that's not true anymore.

Of course wireless performance varies greatly based on countless variables.

I live in a very quiet WIFI area, I cant see anyone else's 5G and only a fringe # of 2.4s and my iPhone WiFi performance is essentially perfect.
iPhonesSpeedtestSmall.jpg


That said I would think the AX88U could offer at least the same performance as the AC86U if your not in contention for airwaves with your neighbors.

One AX variable is the enabling of WPA3 and OFDMA - if you have that enabled, go back to WPA2 only.
Make sure Universal Beamforming is disabled as well as AirTime Fairness on the professional tab for BOTH radios. Leave everything else default.

Wireless throughput takes more CPU cycles than wired, especially if you enable a feature that disables hardware acceleration. Make sure that's still says "enabled" on the Tools page.


Good Luck
 

EmeraldDeer

Very Senior Member
I get 400 Mbps upload on an Apple iPhone 7S. However, this is with an iPerf3 app connected to a wired PC on my LAN running iPerf3 server.

I have the same settings as you except I am using DFS Channel 52 which no one else is using.
 

Makaveli

Very Senior Member
No issue here Samsung S10 on AX88U

S10 router settings.png


speedtest S10.PNG


5Ghz Wifi settings.PNG
 
Last edited:

kidd232

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

My router is running 386.2 now, but it’s same in previous 386.1 and 384.19.

My AiProtection / QoS / traffic monitor are disable, and already playing the channel (36-149), width 80 or 20/40/80, WPA2 and all the setting in the pro pages like TX bursting / DTIM3 / OFDMA....etc., and my link speed is normal in the log page as attached, and the tool page look fine.

But when I use my PC’s AX200 onboard wifi card, the uplink can reach 250M, it’s really weird.
 

Attachments

  • 9CE95176-F30E-4656-B233-B9DE0F838832.jpeg
    9CE95176-F30E-4656-B233-B9DE0F838832.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 16
  • CA4F4007-BB3F-4BD8-99F5-B20A795E394C.jpeg
    CA4F4007-BB3F-4BD8-99F5-B20A795E394C.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Similar threads

Latest threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top