What's new

RT-AX88U Merlin support?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hjohan13

Regular Contributor
Will this router ever be supported by MrMerlin?

Too early to tell as there's no source code available to evaluate it.

How about the consensus on the CPU at this time; should it/could it equal or best the abilities of the AC86U in handling OpenVPN encryption mgmt and thru-put speed??

Also, at the projected selling price point in Singapore, $500 sing. dollars, is it worth upgrading from AC86U.... I paid approx 300 sing dollars for the AC86U which I thought was a reasonable price over in this part of the planet.

Anyone want to offer their opinions?

Last edited:
How about the consensus on the CPU at this time; should it/could it equal or best the abilities of the AC86U in handling OpenVPN encryption mgmt and thru-put speed??

It's a quad core BCM4908. It won't make any speed difference over the RT-AC86U since OpenVPN is a single-threaded application.

Also, at the projected selling price point in Singapore, $500 sing. dollars, is it worth upgrading from AC86U.... I paid approx 300 sing dollars for the AC86U which I thought was a reasonable price over in this part of the planet.

There are no reason to upgrade from an RT-AC86U. There won't be any 802.11ax client for probably about a year.

Thanks. Our cat broke our RT-AC5300 the other day….. Guess that an RT-AC86U is the best choice at current….

Thanks for confirmation, RMerlin. I expected as much.

It’s a pity though. Since Singapore will be the first country in the world to get it.

Supposed to be available late October.

Got two of them in yesterday. Using one as my main router and the other as a bridge in another building. I'm getting 2-3 times the speed I was getting with 2 GT-AC5300's. Not assuming this means anything for possible firmware support but, doesn't look like theres any of the proprietary stuff the GT has:
Untitled.jpg

Forgive my ignorance but is that different from downloading the firmware from Asus site? If not, the initial firmware is available to download.

I cannot develop software based on an already compiled firmware. I need the source code to be able to compile my own firmware.

Got two of them in yesterday. Using one as my main router and the other as a bridge in another building. I'm getting 2-3 times the speed I was getting with 2 GT-AC5300's. Not assuming this means anything for possible firmware support but, doesn't look like theres any of the proprietary stuff the GT has:
View attachment 14728
tell us more and please post some pictures where GUI is different or enhanced to known 86U :D

im just waiting till the gpl is out and merlin gives his verdict, so I can give my router to my rellies after they get a modem and an ata, and get one of these, personally don't care about ax im more interested in the new kernel & cpu and the amount of lan ports also the possibility of cake, that a user got working on the 86u.

tell us more and please post some pictures where GUI is different or enhanced to known 86U :D

Webui is almost identical to the RT-AC86U, except for the 802.11ax related settings.

Webui is almost identical to the RT-AC86U, except for the 802.11ax related settings.
Thats exactly what I supposed.
But would be nice to see which 5G channels are supported and which are usable for 160/80/40/20 MHz bandwith, depending on region.

Thanks. Our cat broke our RT-AC5300 the other day….. Guess that an RT-AC86U is the best choice at current….

What did the Cat do to brake your router? I'm curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

usually throwing it down the shelf - you never had a cat :)

Damn, it would break my heart if my ASUS RT-AC86U was broken by our Cat.

usually throwing it down the shelf - you never had a cat [emoji14]

Yeah, had a few Cats and Dogs, but they aren't allowed anywhere near my gear in my man room lol (sort of sounds like a dodgy name for my computer room [emoji15])

Thats exactly what I supposed.
But would be nice to see which 5G channels are supported and which are usable for 160/80/40/20 MHz bandwith, depending on region.

DFS channels are now supported in the US.

Since the list of channels will vary between region, it's kinda pointless to post a list, as it would obviously be specific to the region of the poster.

DFS channels are now supported in the US.
Since the list of channels will vary between region, it's kinda pointless to post a list, as it would obviously be specific to the region of the poster.
That does not mean that it is supported on this router by Asus!
Otherwise they could be set on RT-AC68U or RT-AC86U too ...
Or why for EU ch. 120-128 are closed and in that case not usable for 160MHz (would need 100-128)!
Sorry, for me these would be very interesting and relevant findings.

That does not mean that it is supported on this router by Asus!

Yes it does, that's what I'm telling you: Asus added DFS channel support in the US to the RT-AX88U.

Otherwise they could be set on RT-AC68U or RT-AC86U too ...

Adding DFS channels requires putting the router through revalidation by the FCC, which can be an expensive process. It's not just a matter of supporting it at the firmware/driver level, certifications must also be acquired.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!