What's new

RT-AX88U mount problem USB3.0 after reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EdoAsus

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone,

I have a RT-AX88U bought new in december 2020, working with 386.1_2 Merlin, and I have a SSD drive also bought new on january 2021 (ADATA SC685-250GB, USB3.2) attached to the rear USB port (USB 3.0 mode), after reboot (scheduled every sunday) the SSD drive is not mounted so I have to manually unplug/replug the drive on the USB port to make him work again.
I checked the drive (surface scan) and no errors on it (format ext4), so I decided to change the USB port using the front port instead (the one covered by a door) and the issue is not occurring, also after scheduled reboot the drive is correctly mounted, the questions are: is there a difference between the front and the rear USB port (both are 3.0)? is the rear USB port more sensitive from interference in USB 3.0 mode?
I dont think the rear USB port is fisically damaged i cheked that also, tested in USB 2.0 works fine also after reboot, so seems that the rear port is not working properly in USB 3.0 mode after a reboot, so is this a software or hardware problem? I have ofcourse 2 years warranty but i'm not sure it's a hardware problem, is there anything else i have to check?

Seems I have the same problem also on the front USB poort, I guess the USB driver with USB mode 3.0 needs a fix, it's not reliable, Asus has to do something. Am I the only one who has this problem??

Hi everyone,

I have a RT-AX88U bought new in december 2020, working with 386.1_2 Merlin, and I have a SSD drive also bought new on january 2021 (ADATA SC685-250GB, USB3.2) attached to the rear USB port (USB 3.0 mode), after reboot (scheduled every sunday) the SSD drive is not mounted so I have to manually unplug/replug the drive on the USB port to make him work again.
I checked the drive (surface scan) and no errors on it (format ext4), so I decided to change the USB port using the front port instead (the one covered by a door) and the issue is not occurring, also after scheduled reboot the drive is correctly mounted, the questions are: is there a difference between the front and the rear USB port (both are 3.0)? is the rear USB port more sensitive from interference in USB 3.0 mode?
I dont think the rear USB port is fisically damaged i cheked that also, tested in USB 2.0 works fine also after reboot, so seems that the rear port is not working properly in USB 3.0 mode after a reboot, so is this a software or hardware problem? I have ofcourse 2 years warranty but i'm not sure it's a hardware problem, is there anything else i have to check?

The USB drive is keyed to a specific port, so none of your scripts will work on another port without wiping the drive.
It has to stay in the same USB slot, it is not interchangeable.

I was having a similar issue using a cheap SSD drive on a AC86U. Would not mount on a reboot, but was able to mount fine after manually.

After some trial and error, I figured it is because the SSD does not power up to a ready state fast enough on router boot. I installed a powered USB hub between the router and the SSD drive. All is good now, the router boots fine and mounts the SSD drive.

I guess some SSDs are quicker to come to ready state than others.

I swapped from using thumbdrives to a WD Green 120 GB SSD (plus a UGREEN case) a little over a year ago. Connected to the back port as USB 3, no problems with it whether on startup, reboots or otherwise.

I was having a similar issue using a cheap SSD drive on a AC86U. Would not mount on a reboot, but was able to mount fine after manually.

After some trial and error, I figured it is because the SSD does not power up to a ready state fast enough on router boot. I installed a powered USB hub between the router and the SSD drive. All is good now, the router boots fine and mounts the SSD drive.

I guess some SSDs are quicker to come to ready state than others.
Thanks! this makes sense, I did a search about the post-mount script but i don't have a clue how to add a line or make a script to check the USB mount on startup, I wish i can avoid to buy another USB drive or hub, but mostly this problem occurs in USB 3.0 mode so i guess the ready state is not fast enough for the drive in this mode.

The post-mount script is not where you would check to see if the drive got mounted. That script gets called after a successful mount occurred.

At one time, I did have a USB key that up and unmount for unknown reasons. Never did figure it out, I just replaced it assuming a hardware issue with the key. Until I did replace, I wrote the script below and called it every hour via a cron job (set up the cron job via services-start script).

Code:
#!/bin/sh

MNTLOG="/jffs/checkmount.log"
TAG="Check-Mount.sh"
MAILFILE="/tmp/Mail_Body.txt"

if [ $# -eq 0 ]
then
    printf "\\n$(date) - No Mount Point Specified\\n" >> $MNTLOG
    exit
fi

if ! mount | grep $1 > /dev/null 2>&1   
then
    printf "\\n$(date) - Could not detect mount point for $1\\n" | tee $MAILFILE >> $MNTLOG

if ! [  -d $1 ]
    then
        printf "$(date) - Could not find directory $1, creating\\n" | tee -a  $MAILFILE >> $MNTLOG
        mkdir $1 2>&1 | tee -a $MAILFILE >> $MNTLOG
        chmod 777 $1 2>&1 | tee -a $MAILFILE >> $MNTLOG
    fi

if mount /dev/sda1 $1 2>&1
    then
        sleep 5
        service restart_nasapps
        printf "$(date) - ALERT - Had to Remount $1 ok\\n" | tee -a  $MAILFILE >> $MNTLOG
        logger -t "$TAG" " - ALERT - Had to Mount $1 had to be remounted"
    else
        printf "$(date) - FAILED TO REMOUNT $1\\n" | tee -a  $MAILFILE >> $MNTLOG
        logger -t "$TAG" "Failed to remount $1"
    fi

/jffs/scripts/smail.sh $MAILFILE "ARERT: Mounted USB Key Alert"
else
    # printf "\\n$(date) - Checked $1 - Everything is OK\n" >> $MNTLOG
    logger -t $TAG "Checked mount point $1 - Everything seems OK"
fi

The smail.sh is another script I use to email me when an event happens.

There is one thing you could try. Have no idea if it would work or not, but make a pre-mount script in /jffs/scripts and put the following in it;

Code:
#!/bin/sh

sleep 5

And make it executable. This would add a 5 second delay before a mount was attempted (I think). Perhaps that is enough time to let the SSD power up to a state that it can be seen.

There is one thing you could try. Have no idea if it would work or not, but make a pre-mount script in /jffs/scripts and put the following in it;

Code:
#!/bin/sh

sleep 5

And make it executable. This would add a 5 second delay before a mount was attempted (I think). Perhaps that is enough time to let the SSD power up to a state that it can be seen.

Thanks for the advice! I will give a try with this one and see what happens.

So this is what i did specifically on the /jffs/scripts:

1. nano pre-mount (create the script)

#!/bin/sh
sleep 5

2. exit the script file

3. chmod 755 pre-mount (make it executable)

First scheduled reboot was successful! drive mounted (USB 3.0 mode), now i want see in the long term if it keeps working.
So you helped me a lot!

Glad it worked out. I wish I had thought of this before I added the USB Hub. I still may, just to get rid of the hub. You probably don't need the full 5 seconds, but what the heck - what is 5 seconds once a week or at boot time.

I'd still recommend a self powered device, either via the powered hub idea or a powered enclosure.

You can get a USB 3.0/3.1 2.5" enclosure with a power brick for $20-$30. Why ask the $300 router to serve power which has traditionally been a common issue (cheap power bricks that can do nasty things when they fail) in SOHO routers to begin with.

Just my 2 cents so it's worth what you paid ;)