What's new

RT-AX88U no internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Al_E

New Around Here
I've been working with the AX88U for almost a year, using the stock firmware. Experiencing some stability issues (disconnects from time to time) I decided to give the Merlin f/w a try.
Installed 384.19 today, and after the process was done, I could login to the router using the PC, saw that the internet connection is on (as shown on the main router's screen Internet Status and the LED), and tried to open some sites using the browser. I realized that there was no internet access from the PC, from other attached clients, and also for all mobile clients.
I had no success trying to make it work, not identifying the issue, and decided to move back to the stock f/w. Then I found out there is no internet access as well with the stock version, although the Internet Status on the web interface and the LED claimed otherwise.
Then I decided to restore the last configuration from a saved file, and everything returned to normal.

I do want to give Merlin a chance to overcome the stability issues with the stock f/w. Can anyone help me understand what went wrong with the installation I did?

Thank you

First, I would suggest that if you run Merlin that you stick to 384.18 for now (or at least read about the issues a number of people have reported particularly for the AX88U).

Second, when switching back and forth you should perform a full reset on the router and reconfigure it manually. In essence, the 2 streams store information differently and/or in different memory locations (simplified description) and resetting allows the router to create a properly formatted "blank" configuration from which you can build what you need.

Search for posts by L&LD and you will find all the required instructions for this.

Fix your MTU value on the WAN page. Running either alpha builds of my firmware or recent beta builds from Asus will leave it with an empty MTU value.

Thank you for your response.
After reading through some of the links, my conclusion is that I have no time neither will to explore and execute all the steps required to make merlin work on my device. I was looking for an alternative f/w that I can upload and activate in the same manner as the manufacturer's version, that will give me a more stable environment.
Thank you again.

Fix your MTU value on the WAN page. Running either alpha builds of my firmware or recent beta builds from Asus will leave it with an empty MTU value.

Thank you. If that was all the issue, and I had no time to spot it in real time (screaming child with no TV, whispering wife with no access to work), I will give it a try next time in the middle of the night, maybe with the next version.

The effort is only required once to make a switch. Once you've installed and configured under the Merlin firmware, there is no need to go back to Asus :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!