What's new

RT-AX88U OpenVPN PIA SLOW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Goned75

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have just receive today my RT-AX88U - and i have configure OpenVPN (PIA) - but.....speedtest not up more like 100Mbps.

I have Fiber 500/500 and is working well without the VPN.

I have try some settings i have seen here and another website - but no more 100 Mbps.

I have the latest firmware from Merlin - FRESH install (factory default first) and reconfigure all settings manualy.

Do you have any suggestions or config i can try to have more 100 Mbps ?

Thanks,
Regards,

With an AX88 you likely won’t see more than 200 using ovpn. I use expressvpn and I average about 180 on speed tests. It took trial and error to find he best server.

I suggest trying a couple different server locations. It’s possible the location you’ve chosen can only handle or allow 100. It might be easiest to test by downloading the pia client program to your desktop or laptop as it allows for faster switching.

For long term testing, load up the spdmerlin script and 2 or 3 vpn instances and have it monitor them. One of the server locations I use as primary is consistently good, another I used to use as primary but switched away from was inconsistent. I would get speeds of 160+ for a week or 2, then speeds would drop to 50-100 for a few days before returning to normal.

With an AX88 you likely won’t see more than 200 using ovpn. I use expressvpn and I average about 180 on speed tests. It took trial and error to find he best server.

I suggest trying a couple different server locations. It’s possible the location you’ve chosen can only handle or allow 100. It might be easiest to test by downloading the pia client program to your desktop or laptop as it allows for faster switching.

For long term testing, load up the spdmerlin script and 2 or 3 vpn instances and have it monitor them. One of the server locations I use as primary is consistently good, another I used to use as primary but switched away from was inconsistent. I would get speeds of 160+ for a week or 2, then speeds would drop to 50-100 for a few days before returning to normal.

With client i top to 500 Mbps (Chrome ext / client windows)

Is possible for you to share your settings ?

With client i top to 500 Mbps (Chrome ext / client windows)

Is possible for you to share your settings ?

with openvpn? WOW! I only maxed 200 on the windows client and it seemed capped. about 150-170 on the ac86u router. Are you using that same openvpn server on the router? PIA really doesn't need any special settings to work on the router. just put the pia dns servers to the .ovpn file and thats about it. I do nothing to the advanced configuration section. and I don't think it makes a difference but I personally use accept dns to exlusive and policy routing strict. and uncheck password only. everything else is default.

with openvpn? WOW! I only maxed 200 on the windows client and it seemed capped. about 150-170 on the ac86u router. Are you using that same openvpn server on the router? PIA really doesn't need any special settings to work on the router. just put the pia dns servers to the .ovpn file and thats about it. I do nothing to the advanced configuration section. and I don't think it makes a difference but I personally use accept dns to exlusive and policy routing strict. and uncheck password only. everything else is default.

500Mbps is with client PIA and chrome extension.
With openvpn client from AX88U - max 100Mbps :(

500Mbps is with client PIA and chrome extension.
With openvpn client from AX88U - max 100Mbps :(

thats still alot. you sure that aint wireguard with the chrome extension? I've only used the desktop app never the extension. didn't even know they had one! but still try to add that same server location to the router and see what happens. Or is it the same? If so that might be all the ax88u can do with it. Have you tried disabling qos and ai trend micro to see if it improves the speed?

Ok i have try with another server (USA East) and WOWWWWW speed at 150 down - 250 up !

Hummmm at aes-256 - i try now at aes-128