1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AX88U poor 2.4ghz

Discussion in 'ASUS AX Routers & Adapters' started by Ninko, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Ninko

Ninko Occasional Visitor

Hi,
    I recently upgraded my RT-AC87U for a RT-AX88U, and while the 5ghz WiFi seems good, the 2.4ghz seems worse. It doesn't seem to go as far as the old router.

Has anyone else found this?

Thanks

Ninko

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

This was discussed in this thread. There appears to be an issue with the recent firmware(s). Going back to an older release should sort it until Asus fixes it.

3. Hawk

Hawk Senior Member

Any firmware after 384.14 is being affected. Stay with 384.14 for reliable 2.4 ghz performance.

4. Ninko

Ninko Occasional Visitor

@ColinTaylor
    Thanks for redirecting me, didn't know about this, thought I had a faulty unit or something.

@Hawk
    Thanks for the advice, is it safe to run an older version, has there been any major security fixes between the versions?

Thanks

Ninko

5. Hawk

Hawk Senior Member

Changelog doesn't show any major security issues, if you decide make sure to keep security tightened around router example no wan access, no ping from wan, disable upnp etc.

6. Ninko

Ninko Occasional Visitor

I've moved to .14 and I'd say it improves by 10-15db which I'd say is pretty close to what my RT-AC87U managed. I also noticed that when running .15 it would use 40mhz for 2.4ghz WiFi, but when running .14 it uses 20mhz - same settings.

Has there been any word from ASUS regarding this issue?

Thanks

Ninko

7. Hawk

Hawk Senior Member

Asus are aware of the issue, it seems the driver used to control radio got messed up, when tweaking MU-MIMO. I am hoping they release new driver which fix this bug.

FTC likes this.
  8. Gouldin

Gouldin Regular Contributor

Hopefully, affects my gt-ax1100 also. 2.4 is awful on this. (Only affects my playstation vita, so not massively fussed, but still..)