What's new

RT-AX88U - port forwarding/Firewall

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mortentwok

New Around Here
I've just purchased the RT-AX88U and upgraded to latest fw 3.0.0.4.384_7968. I'm trying to open a few ports to my IP cam's. I can add them in the Virtual Server / Port Forwarding section of WAN, however when I check for open ports on e.g https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ I get port closed - and I'm not able to connect to my local IP cam's from outside my LAN.
What am I missing? System log\ Port Forwarding is not showing the ports I opened under WAN settings.
I have no IPv6 clients in my network.

1) Is your modem in bridge mode?
2) Is your IP provided by your ISP via CG-NAT?

Do 1 thing. Go to google.com and search for what is my IP and compare that IP to the WAN IP Asus router shows under Network Map. It both are different, there is NO WAY IN HELL you can port forward in this case because you are under CG-NAT (Carrier Grade NAT). You may have to apply for static IP with your ISP and that's your only solution.

Do 1 thing. Go to google.com and search for what is my IP and compare that IP to the WAN IP Asus router shows under Network Map. It both are different, there is NO WAY IN HELL you can port forward in this case because you are under CG-NAT (Carrier Grade NAT). You may have to apply for static IP with your ISP and that's your only solution.

Both IP's are identical.
I used to have another router, where port forwarding was working fine. Only change now, is this new router. In old router, I had to open same ports in the firewall to open acess. In the new Asus router, that option is not available.

1) Is your modem in bridge mode?
2) Is your IP provided by your ISP via CG-NAT?
Hi.
I don't know the answer to any of those questions. I have never accessed the modem with any interface. (The IP is dynamically provided by my ISP..not sure what CG-NAT is)

Last edited:
System log\ Port Forwarding is not showing the ports I opened under WAN settings.
If you're not seeing it here then for some reason the port forwarding hasn't been applied. Try deleting them and re-adding them.

If that fails you might have to perform a factory reset and setup the router again.

EDIT: Obvious question; apart from adding the rules you have actually turned port forwarding on haven't you?

Last edited:
If you're not seeing it here then for some reason the port forwarding hasn't been applied. Try deleting them and re-adding them.

If that fails you might have to perform a factory reset and setup the router again.

EDIT: Obvious question; apart from adding the rules you have actually turned port forwarding on haven't you?

I tried deleting them and then adding them again - same result.
Factory reset - same result.
Port forwarding is turned on, yes.

Could this be related to NAT loopback?

Maybe I should try the newest merlin fw?

Last edited:
Could this be related to NAT loopback?

Maybe I should try the newest merlin fw?
NAT loopback should have no bearing on this. This should be really simple to set up, so perhaps there's a bug in the firmware. So either try a different version of stock firmware or try Merlin's.

Is there anything unusual about your router setup, e.g. is it not in "router mode", is part of a mesh, etc.?

NAT loopback should have no bearing on this. This should be really simple to set up, so perhaps there's a bug in the firmware. So either try a different version of stock firmware or try Merlin's.

Is there anything unusual about your router setup, e.g. is it not in "router mode", is part of a mesh, etc.?

In router mode and not part of a mesh..
upload_2019-12-25_13-51-48.png

Looks like the firewall is not letting the ports through?

Not sure if related, but here is something from the general log:
upload_2019-12-25_13-54-58.png

Not sure if related, but here is something from the general log:
View attachment 20443
That doesn't look good. It looks like the router's web interface is repeatedly trying to apply the rules but failing.:confused: Do you have any web browser extension that might be messing things up? Try using a different browser in safe mode to delete and then create the rules. (Or is that just you hitting Apply multiple times?)

Have you tried creating just one simple rule and applying that?

I would try Merlin's firmware instead (remember to do a factory reset after installing it).

Crap.. I noticed I had entered local IP in both Internal IP Address AND Source IP. I just had to leave the Source IP blank.
My bad - all ok now.
Thanks for replying - especially you ColinTaylor.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!