What's new

RT-AX88U PPPoE WAN error

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grufffler

New Around Here
My ISP in the UK ships Huawei HG8245Q2 devices - too many reasons to individually list why, but I want to replace this - preferably with my RT-AX88U (running Merlin 384.14_0). Where live it's single service provider area, and the ISP is very small, and simply doesn't have the resources to support people using their own devices, so won't give out any configuration info willingly.

Nevertheless I've managed to gain root access to the Huawei device and pull an unencrypted version of the configuration file. I've got my own ONU to connect the fibre to, and configured this to work the Huawei OLT on the ISP end. Now having issues with PPPoE configuration (I think).

It appears to be failing PAP authentication, with errors from pppd:
Code:
The remote system is required to authenticate itself
but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.

My question is how can I debug this? I see someone else was seemingly able to get a capture on the WAN interface to view PPPoE negotiation (Here: Asus RT-AC88U - PPPoE WAN Connection problem ) how can I do the same? Or would I need something like a physical network tap?

Apologies in advance if this a silly question - I'm probably not searching for the right terms on the forum :(

My ISP in the UK ships Huawei HG8245Q2 devices - too many reasons to individually list why, but I want to replace this - preferably with my RT-AX88U (running Merlin 384.14_0). Where live it's single service provider area, and the ISP is very small, and simply doesn't have the resources to support people using their own devices, so won't give out any configuration info willingly.

Nevertheless I've managed to gain root access to the Huawei device and pull an unencrypted version of the configuration file. I've got my own ONU to connect the fibre to, and configured this to work the Huawei OLT on the ISP end. Now having issues with PPPoE configuration (I think).

It appears to be failing PAP authentication, with errors from pppd:
Code:
The remote system is required to authenticate itself
but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.

My question is how can I debug this? I see someone else was seemingly able to get a capture on the WAN interface to view PPPoE negotiation (Here: Asus RT-AC88U - PPPoE WAN Connection problem ) how can I do the same? Or would I need something like a physical network tap?

Apologies in advance if this a silly question - I'm probably not searching for the right terms on the forum :(
I did the same with a rt ac 88 u in my case apart from the username and password I had set my vlan to 2 and prio to 0 . Most ISPs have a community help forum and that's how I found my settings. I'm in Australia though and TPG is a rather large ISP

I did the same with a rt ac 88 u in my case apart from the username and password I had set my vlan to 2 and prio to 0 . Most ISPs have a community help forum and that's how I found my settings. I'm in Australia though and TPG is a rather large ISP
Thanks - yeah double checked the VLANs and priority to match that of the Huawei. Still no such luck.

Any ideas on debugging this traffic traversing the WAN interface?

Thanks - yeah double checked the VLANs and priority to match that of the Huawei. Still no such luck.

Any ideas on debugging this traffic traversing the WAN interface?
No sorry but if it were me I would nag the hell out of the ISP to the point of suggesting that if you can't get it to work you may need to take your business elsewhere until they put you onto a technician who can help

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!