What's new

RT-AX88U Pro Hardware revision changes?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

teknomedic

New Around Here
Hello all,
First post here, but looking for some information as Google failed me. RT-AX88U Pro hardware v1.0 vs hardware v3.10??

I ordered an Asus RT-AX88U Pro from Amazon a couple weeks ago and it was hardware revision 1.0 (Manufactured 2023). I flashed it with Merlin and all seemed well for about a week, but then my network went down. After a power cycle of the router, no issues again for about a week and then another crash. So, I ordered a replacement. I just opened the package and the new RT-AX88U Pro now shows hardware revision 3.10 (Manufactured 2023). I'm not well versed with Asus, but that seems like a big jump.

Does anyone know what changes were made or if this is a new "unknown" revision? As I said I tried Google, but nothing came up for any hardware changes on this router.

At any rate, hoping this one does better than crashing once a week. ha.

Welcome to the forums @teknomedic.

After flashing RMerlin firmware, did you perform a full reset? Did you perform an M&M install without importing any old backup config file(s)? Did you plug in any USB drive(s) that were previously used for amtm/scripts?

No clue about the HW version. But it probably just means they found a cheaper supplier for some parts. I wouldn't expect it to be 'better'. The RT-AX88U Pro is a very high-performance and reliable router (and I've only seen HW v1.0).

Maybe where it's assembled, who knows? I've been waiting for a sale so I can add one to my setup.

For the original router after I opened the box I did the following...

I wasn't sure if Merlin updates everything or relies on anything from official firmware so...
....Flashed latest Asus firmware = Ver.3.0.0.6.102_33308
....Full factory reset
....Flashed latest Merlin firmware = Ver.3004.388.6_2
....Full factory reset
....Manual setup of my network settings with a few reboots tossed in for good measure.
....AX88U Pro up and running.... for about a week with no further adjustments, then the first crash (half of wifi devices disconnected, other half stuck in some really slow limbo of kinda wifi service and eithernet devices limping along. Rebooted... lasted another week, then 2nd crash where everything was disconnected so a bit worse than the previous crash. Rebooted and working again, but I decided to order it's replacement because I've been down that road with routers before, lol.

No USB drives were ever attached.
This is my first Asus router and my first time flashing non-official firmware on any router so no settings were imported.

Sadly you're probably correct. Haven't really seen any router revisions make the hardware "better" in the past, just cheaper for the manufacturer and the same price for the consumer, lol. Sadly I can't tolerate weekly crashes and resets though. As for the hardware revisions, if there's anything I should document side by side between the v1.0 vs 3.10 before I return the v1.0, hopefully someone will let me know soon. I'll probably ship out the v1.0 later today or tomorrow.

Last edited:
Just bought 3 new RT-AX88U Pro units for our new home that we’ll be closing on in a couple of weeks.

They were all manufactured in 2023 and are hardware rev 1.0.

They were all manufactured in 2023 and are hardware rev 1.0

This is very bad. You've got old routers right from the start... 🤭

Just bought 3 new RT-AX88U Pro units for our new home that we’ll be closing on in a couple of weeks.

They were all manufactured in 2023 and are hardware rev 1.0.
return them

Folks, I was merely giving the OP the info that I received hardware rev 1.0 with a recent purchase, not complaining that they were “old” units.

@glens, Yes, as noted in post 2.

Hello all,
First post here, but looking for some information as Google failed me. RT-AX88U Pro hardware v1.0 vs hardware v3.10??

I ordered an Asus RT-AX88U Pro from Amazon a couple weeks ago and it was hardware revision 1.0 (Manufactured 2023). I flashed it with Merlin and all seemed well for about a week, but then my network went down. After a power cycle of the router, no issues again for about a week and then another crash. So, I ordered a replacement. I just opened the package and the new RT-AX88U Pro now shows hardware revision 3.10 (Manufactured 2023). I'm not well versed with Asus, but that seems like a big jump.

Does anyone know what changes were made or if this is a new "unknown" revision? As I said I tried Google, but nothing came up for any hardware changes on this router.

At any rate, hoping this one does better than crashing once a week. ha.
Same here. I ordered 2 RT-AX88U Pro on Amazon. Both have different hw version, 1.0 and 3.1. Both were listed as from Vietnam, 2023. While the ver1.0 router is very stable and ver3.1 one is very unstable that slowing down from time to time and needed frequent rebooting. In 2 occasions, the 'ver3' router totally stopped working so also rebooting needed. I really doubt about the ver3 listed router. In engineering and manufacturing world, hardly a release jumps version that far instantly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!