What's new

RT-AX88U Pro - Internet doesn't recover if the modem has a hiccup and reconnects.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IcySon55

New Around Here
Hello,

I recently picked up an RT-AX88U Pro to replace my RT-AC3200. The issue is that doing this fixed none of the router-side issues with the internet staying dead if the modem decides to have an aneurysm.

ISP: Coextro (on Rogers Cable)
Modem: Hitron CODA-45

Whenever the modem disconnects, one of three outcomes will happen:
  1. The WAN light turns red on the router and after about 3-5 minutes it reconnects and everything is fine. (uncommon result)
  2. The WAN light turns red on the router and then it gets stuck like that with the error: "Your ISP's DHCP is not functioning properly." The modem comes back online but the router gets "stuck". (common)
    1. Turning WAN off and then on again fixes this. (See notes below on cron job to "fix" this.)
  3. The WAN light stays white and everything on Internet Status appears as normal (IP, DNS, etc) but there's no actual data going through. (New rare outcome only for the new router. Happened only once so far.)
    1. Turning WAN off and then on again fixed this.
#1 and #2 were things that happened on the RT-AC3200 (384.13_10) in exactly the same way as the RT-AX88U Pro which is running 388.2_2.

So this very expensive upgrade has solved zero of my problems and instead introduced a new one. :/

Notes:
- I exported the configuration(s) from the RT-AC3200 to the new one.
- On the RT-AC3200 I had set up a cron job to force a DHCP renew through udhcpc every minute by checking ping results to 8.8.8.8. I was hoping that this DHCP renewal issue was fixed on the new router... This "fix" wasn't very good as it had at maximum a one minute wait time for the connection to come back up since you can't create cron jobs shorter than 60 seconds.
- I also set up other cron jobs to auto-reboot once a month to ultimately try and address the same issue.

I'm at a loss and thinking of returning the router since it fixes nothing and has actually been worse to set up with all the newer wi-fi nonsense and some devices being unable to connect to the 5Ghz properly. (I've fixed this by effectively disabling all WiFi6 capabilities).

I have a Rogers tech scheduled to come out and resolve the Modem's connection trouble. If that ever gets fixed, then this will become less of an issue, but I think that Asuswrt-Merlin should address this inability to recover the internet connection.

Last edited:
Hello,

I recently picked up an RT-AX88U Pro to replace my RT-AC3200. The issue is that doing this fixed none of the router-side issues with the internet staying dead if the modem decides to have an aneurysm.

ISP: Coextro (on Rogers Cable)
Modem: Hitron CODA-45

Whenever the modem disconnects, one of three outcomes will happen:
  1. The WAN light turns red on the router and after about 3-5 minutes it reconnects and everything is fine. (uncommon result)
  2. The WAN light turns red on the router and then it gets stuck like that with the error: "Your ISP's DHCP is not functioning properly." The modem comes back online but the router gets "stuck". (common)
    1. Turning WAN off and then on again fixes this. (See notes below on cron job to "fix" this.)
  3. The WAN light stays white and everything on Internet Status appears as normal (IP, DNS, etc) but there's no actual data going through. (New rare outcome only for the new router. Happened only once so far.)
    1. Turning WAN off and then on again fixed this.
#1 and #2 were things that happened on the RT-AC3200 (384.13_10) in exactly the same way as the RT-AX88U Pro which is running 388.2_2.

So this very expensive upgrade has solved zero of my problems and instead introduced a new one. :/

Notes:
- On the RT-AC3200 I had set up a cron job to force a DHCP renew through udhcpc every minute by checking ping results to 8.8.8.8. I was hoping that this DHCP renewal issue was fixed on the new router... This "fix" wasn't very good as it had at maximum a one minute wait time for the connection to come back up since you can't create cron jobs shorter than 60 seconds.
- I also set up other cron jobs to auto-reboot once a month to ultimately try and address the same issue.

I'm at a loss and thinking of returning the router since it fixes nothing and has actually been worse to set up with all the newer wi-fi nonsense and some devices being unable to connect to the 5Ghz properly. (I've fixed this by effectively disabling all WiFi6 capabilities).

I have a Rogers tech scheduled to come out and resolve the Modem's connection trouble. If that ever gets fixed, then this will become less of an issue, but I think that Asuswrt-Merlin should address this inability to recover the internet connection.
Your previous router was most likely fine the issue is that cable modem. I would not have bought anything until rogers either replaced the modem or you tested the router on a known connection that is without issues like at a friends house.

Last edited:
My RT-AX86U Pro recovers from a loss of ISP connectivity without any issues. The issue is not with your shiny new Asus router. :)

My RT-AX86U Pro recovers from a loss of ISP connectivity without any issues. The issue is not with your shiny new Asus router. :)
Ok, so I should perhaps request that Coextro replace the Hitron with a different model. They have a few other options. Even the Rogers tech told me that the Hitron was "no good, they die after a while".

Alright, I'll try to get that going. I didn't really want to refund the router since I plan to make use of the 2.5G ports eventually.

Luckily I did not buy this modem, it's a $0 "rental" from the ISP.

Thinking about it, if it is the modem's fault, why does disabling and re-enabling WAN on the router (or forcing renew via udhcpc) fix the connection?

Last edited:
Your previous router was most likely fine the issue is that cable modem. I would not have bought anything until rogers either replaced the modem or you tested the router on a known connection that is without issues like at a friends house.
The same reconnection issue happened on the RT-AC3200 when I had a Cisco modem. So it's just bad luck all around so far...

I just went through this with my AX88. Spectrum had an outage in the area and restored service after a couple of hours, but I was not able to reconnect to the router's VPN server. I'm an ocean away. A remote reboot of the modem fixed it.

So now I have set the router to reboot 3x per week. Next up is to install the chkwan script by @Martineau.

I exported the configuration(s) from the RT-AC3200 to the new one.
Also, what? You exported a configuration from one model on 384.13_10 to another model on 388.2_2?

Just for further clarification, you will note I use a TP-Link ER605 in Dual WAN setup in front of my AX86U Pro. My aforementioned testing of WAN failure / recovery was done with the AX86U Pro plugged directly into my Arris cable modem.

On another note, make sure your WAN DHCP settings are on Normal mode not the default Aggressive mode. I have found the default aggressive mode can cause issues.

Attachments

• IMG_0636.jpeg
    IMG_0636.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 32
Notes:

More than likely, you have introduced issues here. I would be resetting your 86 Pro to factory settings and set up manually. I know it is a pain, but the obscure settings in nvram from one model router don't belong in another model router.

Also, what? You exported a configuration from one model on 384.13_10 to another model on 388.2_2?
More than likely, you have introduced issues here. I would be resetting your 86 Pro to factory settings and set up manually. I know it is a pain, but the obscure settings in nvram from one model router don't belong in another model router.
Oh man redoing all of the setup... that'll be a huge hours long pain in the neck.
On another note, make sure your WAN DHCP settings are on Normal mode not the default Aggressive mode. I have found the default aggressive mode can cause issues.
Yeah it's set to Normal.
I just went through this with my AX88. Spectrum had an outage in the area and restored service after a couple of hours, but I was not able to reconnect to the router's VPN server. I'm an ocean away. A remote reboot of the modem fixed it.

So now I have set the router to reboot 3x per week. Next up is to install the chkwan script by @Martineau.
The goal is to not need to reboot the router so often. That's why I bought a new one... but so far it has been acting exactly the same as the AC3200 on a different modem which is not inspiring confidence.

Oh man redoing all of the setup...

Even though I had success transferring settings to close models HND routers I wouldn't do it between the two models you have.

The goal is to not need to reboot the router so often.

It's clearly modem/connection issue because I have 2x Hitron modem/routers and they do uptime... forever. TekSavvy on Rogers Cable.

¨

Hello,
I recently picked up an RT-AX88U Pro to replace my RT-AC3200. The issue is that doi
Notes:
- On the RT-AC3200 I¨
no can do froom a 3200 to the AX88U , not a router problem more of a modem problem , have them replace the modem troubles will be gone , once you do a factory reset om the AX88U

The goal is to not need to reboot the router so often.
Agreed. That's why I think the chkwan script is a better solution. But I can see from the logs that the routers were continuing to restablish connection, so rebooting was neither necessary nor sufficient.

Oh man redoing all of the setup... that'll be a huge hours long pain in the neck.
Not really, for me, particularly with the certificates in jffs and some of the backups built into the add-ons. OT: a death cleaning every so often is a good idea in general.

Not really, for me, particularly with the certificates in jffs and some of the backups built into the add-ons. OT: a death cleaning every so often is a good idea in general.
I FTP into several devices and have a list of about 70 named DHCP reservations...

Use YazDHCP for the 70, or one of the other backup methods for that.

I agree with what @elorimer said about YazDHCP. If your main concern is lots of DHCP reservation, you can’t beat YazDHCP. It’s export/import function is worth it’s weight in gold!
I agree that, if you have many assigned DHCP addresses/clients, retyping them in can be exhausting and error prone. YazDHCP takes care of all that.
And, as a bonus, the exported file is in csv format - you can add/delete right in the file and re-import.

Also, use the development version to backup icon assignments too.