What's new

RT-AX88U Pro issue I can't work through

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pgoesinya

Occasional Visitor
Hello everybody. I had an issue about a month ago with my AC3200 which I've since retired for a new RT-AX88U Pro. The new router has been great, but recently I had to take my laptop out of my office to use it as a laptop around my house and strangely enough, my laptop will NOT see the WiFi from this new router. It scans and scans and simply never sees it. I can't for the life of me figure out what the issue is and I was hoping some folks here might have some suggestions?

Before anybody makes suggestions, let me lay out a few facts of the case:

1. Wireless adapter in question: Intel AC-7260 (I know it's older, but so is my laptop so let's not talk ageism here).
2. My laptop sees every WiFi in my neighborhood.
3. My laptop connects to other WiFi networks without any issues (hotspots in town, a wireless extender I have at home that I had to resort to).
4. All my wireless devices in the house see and connect no issue (printer, 6 different cell phones and ipods and a few android media boxes, and trust me some of this stuff is older than my laptop).

Clearly, to me the issue isn't with the router because all these other devices see and connect to it, but on the outside chance anybody has seen something like this or has any ideas, I am at my wits end beyond continuing to use my EX6150 extender when I need WiFi on my main laptop.

Thanks in advance for reading and thank you for any ideas anybody might have.

Peter

Hello everybody. I had an issue about a month ago with my AC3200 which I've since retired for a new RT-AX88U Pro. The new router has been great, but recently I had to take my laptop out of my office to use it as a laptop around my house and strangely enough, my laptop will NOT see the WiFi from this new router. It scans and scans and simply never sees it. I can't for the life of me figure out what the issue is and I was hoping some folks here might have some suggestions?

1. Wireless adapter in question: Intel AC-7260 (I know it's older, but so is my laptop so let's not talk ageism here).
3. My laptop connects to other WiFi networks without any issues (hotspots in town, a wireless extender I have at home that I had to resort to).
4. All my wireless devices in the house see and connect no issue (printer, 6 different cell phones and ipods and a few android media boxes, and trust me some of this stuff is older than my laptop).

Clearly, to me the issue isn't with the router because all these other devices see and connect to it, but on the outside chance anybody has seen something like this or has any ideas, I am at my wits end beyond continuing to use my EX6150 extender when I need WiFi on my main laptop.

Peter

Maybe the older adapter is having trouble with the new wireless settings. Try disabling WiFi6/ax on the router to see how it responds.

OE

Peter

Good day Peter, basically your Wi-Fi adapter needed to be updated to see AX based routers. One of my tenant laptop was having same issue because it was using intel 7260 as well, updating drivers solved the issue.

This FAQ is applicable to your situation

@pgoesinya Maybe this is not it, but I have seen some devices only connect on certain wifi channels. I have an Amcrest Doorbell that will not connect to the 5ghz signal on channels lower than 112.

Try changing the channel on the router and see if that helps.

Good day Peter, basically your Wi-Fi adapter needed to be updated to see AX based routers. One of my tenant laptop was having same issue because it was using intel 7260 as well, updating drivers solved the issue.

This FAQ is applicable to your situation

Excellent, I had searched for updated drivers but as Intel made the product EOL in Dec 2022, they removed the driver downloads, which makes no real sense to me. Anyway, I did find a Reddit reference which covers where to find the drivers, should anybody else ever look and find this thread. I got the drivers and updated them and now I am seeing the new router as you all mentioned... :cool:

Thanks all for the suggestions, much appreciate your time!!

Happy New Year to you all and your families and loved ones!

Peter

On the ax88u pro package there is one a4 size note saying if you have one older intel wireless card you have to update the drivers to work with newer wifi 6 devices. You only had to read.

More curiosity to this story though. Last night, I booted up my long shelved retro-gaming laptop. Dell Latitude D610 with Windows XP and guess what? It saw and connected to this new router no issues (the 2.4GHz network anyway as there wasn't a 5GHz in 2006). No driver updates, no nothing, just turned it on, it saw it and it worked perfectly. Now go figure...

Happy New Year!

Peter

If those laptops work well-enough otherwise, for about $20 you can get an AX wifi module and swap it in (at least it works well under GNU/Linux). I use an older Dell which has a 100 Mb ethernet port, its best possible connectivity otherwise, but will now do, at times, better than 1 Gb over wireless. Had to find an HMC card outfitted with Intel AX200, but there are likely others available, too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!