What's new

RT-AX88U Pro slow wireguard speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djjsin

Regular Contributor
so i just setup a wireguard vpn server on my RT-AX88U pro. I have 1gb Up/Down fiber.

i seem to only be betting about 80-100Mb off a client connected to the VPN. Is this normal? if not, any suggestions on speeding it up?

so i just setup a wireguard vpn server on my RT-AX88U pro. I have 1gb Up/Down fiber.

i seem to only be betting about 80-100Mb off a client connected to the VPN. Is this normal? if not, any suggestions on speeding it up?

Definitely not normal but what is the speed of the client's ISP? You'll be limited by the lowest common denominator (and by latency to a certain extent so if client is very far away that will reduce throughput too). I don't know if anyone has tested that router yet but 500+ megs should be pretty easy I would think.

Another thing to keep in mind is for VPN server, these routers actually have IPSEC acceleration hardware in them so you might actually get better performance with an IPSEC based VPN vs. wireguard. This only applies when the router is acting as the VPN server, not client.

Definitely not normal but what is the speed of the client's ISP? You'll be limited by the lowest common denominator (and by latency to a certain extent so if client is very far away that will reduce throughput too). I don't know if anyone has tested that router yet but 500+ megs should be pretty easy I would think.

Another thing to keep in mind is for VPN server, these routers actually have IPSEC acceleration hardware in them so you might actually get better performance with an IPSEC based VPN vs. wireguard. This only applies when the router is acting as the VPN server, not client.
One time I tested it with my 150mb up and down at work, the other time I tested with my Verizon 5g home internet backup like which gets 300 down. Both seem to get the same speeds when the VPN is on.

One time I tested it with my 150mb up and down at work, the other time I tested with my Verizon 5g home internet backup like which gets 300 down. Both seem to get the same speeds when the VPN is on.

Work could just be others using the connection and 5G could be latency (along with the fact that those speeds vary). What device are you testing with? If a phone then that just may be all the phone's hardware is capable of.

I'm actually testing using a gl.inet beryl ax travel router that has a built in wireguard client, which at least in the documents state it can go 300mb with wireguard.

And I turn the VPN off on the router, I have no problem reaching speeds of 300 down on my 5g home internet and 150 at work through the router.

But I have also tried testing with my phone as the wireguard client which is leading me to believe the bottleneck is my Asus router.

Not sure I'd this also matters but when I'm in my house behind my Asus router and I connect the wireguard client....my speeds also drop to a solid 100/100. But that's kindof a wierd test.

I'm actually testing using a gl.inet beryl ax travel router that has a built in wireguard client, which at least in the documents state it can go 300mb with wireguard.

And I turn the VPN off on the router, I have no problem reaching speeds of 300 down on my 5g home internet and 150 at work through the router.

But I have also tried testing with my phone and am seeing the same exact speeds on both devices.

What are you testing, a file transfer to/from a LAN device, internet speed test, etc? The two will have different results and different things to look at. If testing an internet speed test there is going to be latency at play as well as contention for bandwidth (your VPN and the speed test sharing the same connection). If not already I'd start with a file transfer to a wired LAN device.

Also keep in mind "up to 300M" on that travel router is likely inflated.

You may need to tweak the MTU/MSS settings on the VPN too, heavy fragmentation can cause a big slowdown in speed.

To keep it simple I'd test between two PCs first (put a wireguard client on the remote PC) and once that is getting good speeds then start adding in stuff like travel router, internet destinations, etc.

Just doing internet speed tests. But dropping from 900 to roughly 90 seems like a big difference lol

Just doing internet speed tests. But dropping from 900 to roughly 90 seems like a big difference lol

You're dropping from 150 (work) to roughly 90. Try file transfers to a LAN PC like I said and see how that performs.

And 300 connected to my Verizon 5g home internet to 90.

And any traffic on my phone to 90 when using the VPN client. I do have 5g UW so I have tested it in areas that I'm getting like 500+mbs down on my phone.

I'll also give things a test at my parents house next time I'm over. I have rt-ac86u units over there and 500/500 FiOS there too. I have many places to test.

And 300 connected to my Verizon 5g home internet to 90.

And any traffic on my phone to 90 when using the VPN client. I do have 5g UW so I have tested it in areas that I'm getting like 500+mbs down on my phone.

I'll also give things a test at my parents house next time I'm over. I have rt-ac86u units over there and 500/500 FiOS there too. I have many places to test.

Understood, but if all your tests are to a speed test site you aren't doing different tests, you're doing the same test.

Work on your LAN to LAN speed before worrying about internet speed. Look at the settings on your VPN and make sure MTU is correct and anything else that needs to be tweaked is sorted out. Then go from there.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!