What's new

RT-AX88U Pro VLAN beta evaluation - how to set up static routes between VLANs? (beta firmware v9.0.0.6.102_4856)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mmjlmjl

Occasional Visitor
I've been testing a RT-AX88U Pro's VLAN capability and I'm running into some issues and/or knowledge gaps.

I've set up a guest VLAN (10) for 5G wifi. I shared/assigned this VLAN to two of the ETH ports (Ports 4 & 5). I found that there is no capability to use static DHCP reservtions on a VLAN. I circumvent this for the time being using an RT-AC86U with latest Merlin firmware configured as a router as the access point mode does not support DHCP. The WAN port is empty, one of the LAN ports is connected to VLAN 10 (in between I have HPE managed switches with VLAN tagging).

Finding 1: The DHCP of the RT-AC86U router does not assign IP addresses to the device connected to port 4 of the RT-AX88U Pro (port 5 connects to the managed switch to which the RT-AC86U is connected). It seems to me within the RT-AX88U Pro, when assigning a VLAN to multiple ports, port isolation is in effect (unfortunately). I cannot find such setting to allow the ports to actually be on the same VLAN and get the DHCP from the RT-AC86U functional in the beta, anyone have a suggestion?

Finding 2: I expected that from the main VLAN (intranet) (for which I do not know the VLAN number... anyone?) I could connect to resources in the guest VLAN, I have some "smart" devices in the guest vlan which are integrated to Home assistant in the intranet vlan). I suspect I can do something with routing to allow communication between the 2 vlans, but I have too little knowledge to figure out what the static route parameters should be using this beta firmware. Here some key info: Home assistant in intranet IP address 192.168.0.91 the device in guest vlan 10 192.168.2.90. The router web interface has IP 192.168.0.100 I used netmask 255.255.255.0 for the guest vlan (as all other netmask options in the UI do not work in this BETA). I assumed the following in the static routing page on the RT-AX88U: Network host IP: 192.168.2.90 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway ??? Metric: 1 and interface LAN. I tried several options for the gateway but nothing worked, any FW guru who can set me straight (and perhaps a short lesson in understanding this....)?

Finding 3: In the Guest Pro advanced settings you can select several subnet masks, potentially limiting the number of IP addresses, when I select anything other than 255.255.255.0 the DHCP function does not work in that particular vlan, where can I report these impediments to ASUS beta program?

Last edited:
I've been testing a RT-AX88U Pro's VLAN capability and I'm running into some issues and/or knowledge gaps.

I've set up a guest VLAN (10) for 5G wifi. I shared/assigned this VLAN to two of the ETH ports (Ports 4 & 5). I found that there is no capability to use static DHCP reservtions on a VLAN. I circumvent this for the time being using an RT-AC86U with latest Merlin firmware configured as a router as the access point mode does not support DHCP. The WAN port is empty, one of the LAN ports is connected to VLAN 10 (in between I have HPE managed switches with VLAN tagging).

Finding 1: The DHCP of the RT-AC86U router does not assign IP addresses to the device connected to port 4 of the RT-AX88U Pro (port 5 connects to the managed switch to which the RT-AC86U is connected). It seems to me within the RT-AX88U Pro, when assigning a VLAN to multiple ports, port isolation is in effect (unfortunately). I cannot find such setting to allow the ports to actually be on the same VLAN and get the DHCP from the RT-AC86U functional in the beta, anyone have a suggestion?

Finding 2: I expected that from the main VLAN (intranet) (for which I do not know the VLAN number... anyone?) I could connect to resources in the guest VLAN, I have some "smart" devices in the guest vlan which are integrated to Home assistant in the intranet vlan). I suspect I can do something with routing to allow communication between the 2 vlans, but I have too little knowledge to figure out what the static route parameters should be using this beta firmware. Here some key info: Home assistant in intranet IP address 192.168.0.91 the device in guest vlan 10 192.168.2.90. The router web interface has IP 192.168.0.100 I used netmask 255.255.255.0 for the guest vlan (as all other netmask options in the UI do not work in this BETA). I assumed the following in the static routing page on the RT-AX88U: Network host IP: 192.168.2.90 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway ??? Metric: 1 and interface LAN. I tried several options for the gateway but nothing worked, any FW guru who can set me straight (and perhaps a short lesson in understanding this....)?

Finding 3: In the Guest Pro advanced settings you can select several subnet masks, potentially limiting the number of IP addresses, when I select anything other than 255.255.255.0 the DHCP function does not work in that particular vlan, where can I report these impediments to ASUS beta program?
In case you’re still dealing with these problems…I’m not familiar enough with your device to directly answer your questions. However, a quick glance looks like there might be a mis-match in the settings.

1) Have you tried netmask 255.255.0.0 (or /16 I.e. 192.168.2.90/16)? From a quick glance it looks like this might help issues involving DHCP, vlans and/or routing.

2) make sure the guest settings are not “Internet Only” otherwise any device on the guest net will be unable to talk directly to any other device on your network, guest net or otherwise.

Hope you have some success. ;-)

For 1: tried it as far as I remember

For 2: That could be the case indeed, but if I just create a vlan I do not want it to talk to my intranet but ports assigned to it should be able to talk to eachother. With your setting basically you ‘fuse’ two vlans/allow any rule in the firewall. The settings are not very elaborate in this firmware.

I returned this router within the 30 day period… in the mean time the GT-AXE16000 is being dumped for almost the same price, much better option. I have not installed the beta with vlans on it though, I will wait until it is stable and released by Merlin :)

In case you’re still dealing with these problems…I’m not familiar enough with your device to directly answer your questions. However, a quick glance looks like there might be a mis-match in the settings.

1) Have you tried netmask 255.255.0.0 (or /16 I.e. 192.168.2.90/16)? From a quick glance it looks like this might help issues involving DHCP, vlans and/or routing.

2) make sure the guest settings are not “Internet Only” otherwise any device on the guest net will be unable to talk directly to any other device on your network, guest net or otherwise.

Hope you have some success. ;-)

Do not set the netmask to /16. The client list does a ARP scan of the entire lan every couple of minutes. Would be a mess.

Were you able to ever find a find a solution for finding 2? Now that the firmware is generally availabe, I am also running into this problem, and would like to find a solution as well - and have not been able to find a way around this.

Wondering if switching to Merlin's firmware, and a combination of third party tools would solve this - but, would prefer to stick on the Asus firmware just for the sake of convenience.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!