What's new

RT-AX88U random reboots

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

walter carboni

Occasional Visitor
Hi to all, I am using latest stable merlin fw since december, updated regularly as available.
I installed skynet, diversion, scribe, connmon, scmerlin, uidivstats, all updated time to time, I am using an external USB HDD for entware sw.
It is a couple of weeks I get random reboots, quite every day or two, after like 2 minutes all is up and running again, I tried to find some evidence in logs but I cannot see anything significant.
I have FTTH connection connected to WAN port via ONT, previously I used the AX88 in double nat configuration behind the ISP router but as it is a really awful device I decided to take it away; in the previous connection scheme never had any reboot though!
Can someone suggest me something to check to be sure it is not an HW problem?
Thanks a lot!

My first rt-ax88u with 7977 asus sw would reboot once a day at random times from the first day. It was suggested that I try plugging it into a different outlet. That did not solve the reboots. Was able to return and replace. Since having the replacement it has been solid.
One thing you might inspect is to make sure both ends of the power are plugged in firmly as well as changing the outlet thats used.

... after six day I got another reboot .... really don't understand what I can do! the last thing I see in logs before each reboot is Diversion tasks, maybe I should uninstall it to see if something changes.... any other suggestion?

@walter carboni you may want to follow these steps to get your router back to a good/known state.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax88-packet-loss.62891/#post-563326

The above isn't guaranteed to solve the issues. But it will put your router in a state where you should be able to quickly determine if the hardware or the firmware/set up is at fault.

HTH.

I will give it a try asap, next days I have to work and I need the router up & running!
In the end every time I upgrade the firmware it would be better to do this process?
I installed this AX88 in replacement of the old and glorious AC87, dead in december after a lot of years, and I configured it from scratch without reloading any backup config file, it use to work correctly but now after a few months and ISP change I am getting this behaviour... previously I use to install merlin version but never implemented any script, I started to use USB disk and additional scripts since a couple of months.
Anyway thanks for your guide, I will report asap!

@walter carboni, no for many it is not necessary to do a full/nuclear reset with each update. If your router and network continue to work as expected, leave it as-is.

However, if an issue does crop up that a quick search doesn't give a satisfactory resolution in a short amount of time, then it is what I would do to at least properly troubleshoot the issue(s), but many times, the very act of doing this full reset resolves things for many. :)

Get your work done for this week and I hope this process works for you too. :)

@walter carboni, no for many it is not necessary to do a full/nuclear reset with each update. If your router and network continue to work as expected, leave it as-is.

However, if an issue does crop up that a quick search doesn't give a satisfactory resolution in a short amount of time, then it is what I would do to at least properly troubleshoot the issue(s), but many times, the very act of doing this full reset resolves things for many. :)

Get your work done for this week and I hope this process works for you too. :)

Hi L&LD, just wanted to say that after the latest build update I did (.16 first and .17 a few days ago!) I never had any reboot at all, hardware is fine, thanks again for you support!
And thanks to Merlin for the great work he is doing.

Hello
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but my router is driving me crazy.
I have the same problem as here: random reboot and I can't determine the reason.
It's been going on for a while
This was the case on a stock firmware, I've been on a Merlin for a long time (currently 386.7_2) and the problem remains the same.
Random reboots. Same thing after a default reset.

What do you think or could I look into to detect the cause?
Any ideas? A suggestion ? :D

Thanks a lot!

Hello
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but my router is driving me crazy.
I have the same problem as here: random reboot and I can't determine the reason.
It's been going on for a while
This was the case on a stock firmware, I've been on a Merlin for a long time (currently 386.7_2) and the problem remains the same.
Random reboots. Same thing after a default reset.

What do you think or could I look into to detect the cause?
Any ideas? A suggestion ? :D

Thanks a lot!

Confirm the same with a minimally configured router with nothing wired to it except a known good/working AC/DC power adapter on reliable AC power/UPS. If it continues to reboot, consider replacing it.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!