1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AX88U rebooting on its own

Discussion in 'ASUS AX Routers & Adapters' started by mteicher, Feb 13, 2020.

1. mteicher

mteicher Regular Contributor

RT-AX8U is brand new with latest ASUS firmware. Only changes to to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz configuration:
    MAC address filtering, accept
    AX disabled
    2 SSID, one for each channel
    WPA2 personal, AES

I do not see anything in syslog indicating an issue.

Along with the reboots so far once a day and not at the same time syslog is quite busy with logging Auth, Assoc, Deauth. Wish there was a way to change syslog log level.

Insight, ideas are appreciated.

Michael...

2/14/2020 received replacement. Same hw ver a1.1 but built 2019 vs 2020. Upgraded to newest asus fw then did a hard reset. Keeping fingers crossed.

2/15/2020: 26 hours and no reboot. knock on wood so not to jinks it.

2/18/2020: Just shy of 4 days and no reboots. I will close this thread as it seems first router had issues and thus the reboots and purpose of my initial query.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  2. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

If it randomly reboots and it's a new device, then I would first try to plug it in a different power outlet (in case there is a problem with it). If it still happens, then I recommend having it exchanged.

3. mteicher

Hello RMerlin,

Its actually on the same surge protector as the replaced RT-AC87R. Its worth a shot tho and I appreciate your input.
    Anyways what I did was call who I bought it from, Amazon, who first asked me to make sure the ethernet cable to the cable modem is seated good and the cable is in good condition. I said its new Cat5e. At that he said "let me get Asus on a conference call". Talked to Asus who wanted me to go through their "fire drill" at which I said the router is just a few days old. I balked at going through their fire drill stating my case, look at syslog I sent and changes etc.. He agreed and said to return it. In short Amazon was very pleasing and I will get replacement tomorrow. I just dont look forward to manually inputting all my mac address. I believe some things like that should be accepted as a txt upload.

Thank you...

royarcher and L&LD like this.
  4. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

5. mteicher

L&LD likes this.