What's new

RT-AX88U Router managing two AI Mesh Nodes (wired backhaul ZenWifi AX) - Nodes loosing connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bodgerator

New Around Here
I have my Wan plugged into a RT-AX88U Router, on latest firmware set to managing two ZenWifi AX AI mesh nodes (on latest firmware) wired and configured to use wired backhaul.

Intermittently (not daily but a 1/2 days worth of issues that go away for a few weeks and reoccur) these nodes drop connection to the router (red lights on the nodes) meaning all wired and wireless devices connected no longer have a connection to the main router (and thus internet) which also no longer sees the ZenWifi Nodes. Weirdly restarting any node or the router does NOT fix this, ONLY unplugging the switch network cable from the router and replugging kickstarts a reconnect, either for 5-15 min and it occurs again or waits for an hour+ before it occurs again. Then it may just be fine for a few weeks. It may also just fix itself without a replug (eventually)

These nodes are plugged into a TP Link 8 Port Gigabit non-manged switch (via house cat5e), which then plugs to the router. Items plugged into the router do not loose connection during these events. Searching the general log for the mac address of the ZenWifi AX nodes doesnt raise any errors.

With it being very inconsistent & erratic (not daily or even weekly) and reboots not fixing the issues, only replugs im pretty stumped with the cause. Right now im wondering if the switch is failing, but has anyone got any other troubleshooting suggestions or seen anything like this before?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I just set up my new et12 last night and I got constant drops and red light on the et12 node using wired backhaul and gave up for the night, wifi back haul works stunning but I want my ethernet backhaul.
I just read (I did not think of it) I need to plug the backhaul into the WAN of the node. I will try that tonight and test, just making a note of this, maybe you already have this.

I just set up my new et12 last night and I got constant drops and red light on the et12 node using wired backhaul and gave up for the night, wifi back haul works stunning but I want my ethernet backhaul.
I just read (I did not think of it) I need to plug the backhaul into the WAN of the node. I will try that tonight and test, just making a note of this, maybe you already have this.
Thanks for the reply, yes its plugged into the nodes WAN port. The system had been working flawlessly for around a year until a month or so ago. It also didnt align around any firmware updates either...

Just a small update, tried a new switch and assigned manual ips to the AI Mesh nodes via DHCP. Issues still occuring :(

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!