RT-AX88U slow LAN speed

markc

New Around Here
I just installed merlin 384.18 on a RT-AX88U hoping to get full 1GB LAN speed compared to the stock firmware. When using NFS to a HP Microserver via a dedicated 1GB switch I would often get just over 100MBytes when copying large files from my laptop to the HP NAS. When I swap the AX88U in (all else being the same) that speed drops down to 70-80 MBytes and if I try Jumbo frames it goes down to 40-50 MBytes. I've followed quite a few google results and disabled QoS and IPv6 among other things. I'm not concerned about WAN speed because I only have 100Mbs cable. I know there are a lot of possible variables involved but would anyone that currently gets the full 100+ MBytes local LAN transfer speeds care to give some hints on how they have configured their AX88U, please?

Makaveli

Very Senior Member
I get full lan speeds and my setup is pretty default.

What is the I/O on both ends of the transfer?

HDD's SSDs?

Trav06

New Around Here
I also have this problem. I was getting full 1.0gbps speed over a wired connection on stock firmware, switched to Merlin and ran the speedtest again before making any changes and my speed was halved to 400-500mbps. I then switched back to stock and am still stuck at half speed.

Per sbsnb's suggestion to check CTF, I don't have that setting in stock. Could switching to Merlin have enabled CTF and left it enabled when I switched back to stock, I just don't have the UI element to see it now?

1596475445066.png

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
@Trav06 when switching back and forth between RMerlin and stock Asus firmware, a full reset to factory defaults is required. Followed by a minimal and manual configuration of the router to secure it and connect to your ISP. Do not use any saved backup config files that were not created 'clean' on the firmware and hardware you want to restore them to.

Trav06

New Around Here
@Trav06 when switching back and forth between RMerlin and stock Asus firmware, a full reset to factory defaults is required. Followed by a minimal and manual configuration of the router to secure it and connect to your ISP. Do not use any saved backup config files that were not created 'clean' on the firmware and hardware you want to restore them to.
Required, meaning automatically done as a part of the firmware install, or meaning I should have selected an option to do a full factory reset?

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Required, meaning you need to initiate it.

See the last couple of paragraphs in the link above to do it 'once' and properly. :)

Trav06

New Around Here
Thanks @L&LD! With my family stuck at home relying on this network I've been trying to avoid taking it down for any longer than necessary. Everything works at the moment, but at least I know now that if I want to fix my wired speed there's not a shortcut. :)

I'll hang onto these guides for when I'm ready to fix it.

sbsnb

I know the feeling. If it's something that has to be done and I can't do it when they're sleeping, I usually just tell them the internet will be down for ~1 hour tomorrow at 3 o'clock or something. If it's a planned outage I don't get too much push back.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!