What's new

RT-AX88U upgrade worth it from RT-AC86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kingp1n

Very Senior Member
I have a friend who upgraded his router and is selling his RT-AX88U for $200. I already owned a RT-AC86U and have not had any issues with it, but the price tag is sure tempting. Would i get any significant gains if I decided to purchase the AX88U. I don't think my wife would be to happy to spend this much $$$ right around the holidays, especially if they gains are minimal and won't make too much of a difference haha.

Thoughts??

Borrow the router, test and decide and stay friends! :)

200$ USD for moving from AC86U to AX88U is not worth it IMHO, unless you can get a good price by reselling the AC86U.

Difference of opinion... Lol

I would gladly pick up a spare at that price. But probably only if in Canadian dollars :) still, a good deal, not a super fabulous deal.

Difference of opinion... Lol

I would gladly pick up a spare at that price. But probably only if in Canadian dollars :) still, a good deal, not a super fabulous deal.

Have to take into account what he's upgrading from. For instance, he won't notice any CPU performance improvement when going from an RT-AC86U to an RT-AX88U. That means he'll mostly spend 200$ for more RAM, and 802.11ax support.

200$ USD for moving from AC86U to AX88U is not worth it IMHO, unless you can get a good price by reselling the AC86U.
With all the bad reports on dodgy 86 u routers he may have trouble selling it not that I'm suggesting for a moment that it is a bad one, I just think he might have trouble selling it.Personally I wouldn't mind picking up an rt ac 86 u but I am a bit troubled about all the duds sold online by you know who

Thanks for the input ...I'll try to sell the 86U for around $135.

@Kingp1n
I'm curious how the AX88U is working for you, and have you found the "upgrade" a worthwhile effort?

EDIT: Just saw elsewhere you are acquiring a google mesh system.

Last edited:
I'm still using the RT-AC86U. It's running flawlessly with latest merlim FW. If I do get to sell it, I'm still deciding if I wld like to stay on ASUS or try the Google mesh system. Decisions...decisions.

But as long as I have the 86U, I'm not planning in getting anything.

I know this thread is a bit old... but, what about going from AC68P to AC86U or AX86U.
$169 for the AC86U or $249 for the AX86U?
Is the $80 difference worth it?