What's new

RT-AX88U & VPN & DMZ

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Louis James

Occasional Visitor
Currently, on an RT-AX88U, I am using the OpenVPN client with the VPN Director related to one specific IP (192.168.1.25). (Works great). Additionally, I have opened specific ports for that IP under the WAN / Virtual Server/Port Forwarding Tab. This setup is for vonage.

Vonage now wants me to Enable DMZ to the 192.168.1.25 IP address. I've never been a fan of DMZ but I enabled DMZ for the moment. Is it really necessary to have BOTH the OpenVPN Client, open ports and DMZ?

I look forward to any thoughts. Thanks.

Sorry, I should have explained. You are correct that I should only connect Vonage to an ethernet port without the VPN. However, for years, the call quality (despite having massive speeds) was horrid. Dropped calls, choppy calls, and so on. ISP is Comcast/xFinity. One day, it occurred to me to put the Vonage ATA device on a VPN (Cyberghost). Although the speed on the VPN was much lower, the call quality and all things about the calls VASTLY IMPROVED. No more dropped calls, choppy calls, and so on. It went to a very clean and clear call.

My assumption is that Comcast does packet shaving and/or compression which affects call quality. I also got the idea because WiFi Calling from Cell Phones on your WiFi network is encrypted (like the VPN). Since it's a VPN (for Vonage), Comcast leaves the VPN stream alone.

I recently proved this to be true because I took the Vonage device on a trip out of the country. When I returned, I forgot to put the vonage device back on the VPN and the quality was the pits. Once I put it back under the VPN, call quality was off the charts good.

I only put it behind the DMZ to do it but it was the VPN that improved the call quality.

You are using a wrong medicine to treat the symptoms. On your Asus router disable SIP ALG, DoS protection, try with no QoS. Your VPN is just bypassing one of those. Vonage generally works just with active Internet connection, no much requirements. I had Vonage few years ago. If your ISP device is a modem/router, plug Vonage box there in DMZ.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!