What's new

RT-AX88U WAN Performance 200M to ~5M After Only 5-9 Hours

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KrisS

Occasional Visitor
OEM firmware would not complete initialization for OpenVPN server. It also dropped 200M to ~5M after X hours. I installed Merlin 384.13. OpenVPN is working now in Merlin and OEM firmware, however both drop WAN performance to ~5M after X hours of use.

If it is relevant, I have up to 46 IP addresses, of which 8 are LAN and the rest mostly 2.4G. I am on FIOS 200M service with DHCP config. OpenVPN server is used intermittently, and it is not clear if there is a correlation to the issue.

Did you factory reset after installing Merlin?

The issue started when I installed the AX88U, leading me to believe that was the source. However as it turns out, the former AC5300 router was apparently more tolerant of a marginal connection at the FIOS ONT. I noticed in the logs that the AX88U WAN connection was dropping back to 100M. After reseating the connection at the ONT, the issue is gone.