What's new

RT-AX88U Webgui Unresponsive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tsgillx

New Around Here
Hi,

I have the latest firmware installed on my RT-AX88U. I am using Merlin Firmware for years never had any problems. With the latest firmware the router works fine. No issue with internet or network. Even I am able connect via OpenVPN to the router from anywhere outside.

The issue is if I try login in into the web interface the first time the page loads up fine. After entering the login credentials and pressing login button the page loads for couple of seconds just hang at the login screen. After that page never loads up at all until I unplug the power of the router and plug it back in.

I can still disconnect via OpenVPN and connect successfully back to the via OpenVPN. There is no way the web interface loads up after I enter the routers ip address in the web browser. The issue reoccurs randomly in a month. This month it happened twice. I am using secure login via port 8443.

Any idea what could cause this?

Thank you.

Welcome to the forums @tsgillx.

Are you using Ports 5-8 on your router?

After flashing the latest firmware (388.2_2 currently) on your router, did you do a full reset to factory defaults and then minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP? Without using a saved backup config file? If not, when was the last time you fully and properly reset the router?

Have you tried a simple electrical reset? First, I would remove all Ethernet cables from Ports 5-8 from the router. If those connections are needed, I would buy a $30 switch instead and connect that switch to Ports 1-4 and all other connections to the switch.

So, onto the electrical reset. Leaving the power button 'on' on the router, remove the power plug from the router and the AC wall plug too. Wait for a few minutes, then power everything back up.

If the electrical reset didn't help, then it may be time for a full reset. Do not take shortcuts. Do not toggle settings on/off after the full reset (see the link below for the correct method for your router) as that is not the same thing as not enabling the settings in the first place. If you have been toggling settings on/off to find a solution or to 'explore' what the settings do, then the best and quickest way to a good/known state for your router is by doing a full reset and a minimal and manual configuration as outlined above once more.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply. I bought this router because of the 8 port plus merlin compatibility and didn't wanted to use an extra switch. Iam using 8 ports on this router since years. Never had an issue.

I did reset and manually configured the router on my previous firmware update. I have unplugged the the power for couple of minutes and plugged it back in. I can login for couple of days into the router but then it is not possible anymore to login into the router.

First indication is the that the login screen shows up after typing it in the page tries to load and nothing happens. If restart the browser and try to login again this time the page does not load up at all.

A power cycle fixes this issue until couple of days later same problem occurs again.

It is worth testing to see if the issue is present now (glitches when Ports 5-8 are used).

You may also want to do a full reset, minimal and manual configuration, to test too.

Also, try with another browser and/or PC. Or, use the browser you're currently using in InPrivate or incognito modes.

Yes. Random glitches, etc.

Thanks for your reply. I bought this router because of the 8 port plus merlin compatibility and didn't wanted to use an extra switch. Iam using 8 ports on this router since years. Never had an issue.

I did reset and manually configured the router on my previous firmware update. I have unplugged the the power for couple of minutes and plugged it back in. I can login for couple of days into the router but then it is not possible anymore to login into the router.

First indication is the that the login screen shows up after typing it in the page tries to load and nothing happens. If restart the browser and try to login again this time the page does not load up at all.

A power cycle fixes this issue until couple of days later same problem occurs again.
Have a similar issue like yours posted same concern might issue as well with the latest firmware since i haven’t experience such non responsive log in gui before the last latest fw upgrade. I hope new release from firmware address such behavior issue in web log in issues

same issue, no web interface, don't use port 5-8 - did reboots, power off (unplug power ) and such, no solution. Hope merlin fixes this soon.

Time to do a full reset then. First, start with the link below to be able to quickly get back to where you are now (if needed).

After completing the above, do the following steps meticulously.

The links below may also be helpful to getting your router/network back to a good/known state.

Time to do a full reset then. First, start with the link below to be able to quickly get back to where you are now (if needed).

After completing the above, do the following steps meticulously.

The links below may also be helpful to getting your router/network back to a good/known state.

I hope to flash it again, as my iOS app works still, and see if flashing it with the same firmware helps... the router works okay, just the webgui is broken.

I would not configure any router via an 'app'. Too many issues, mostly related to security. Use a PC via a web browser instead, on a computer you know and trust.

Tried without port 5-8 and no configuration at all still the same issue. Webgui becomes unresponsive. I am at work and try to login now to do wake on lan and I am out of luck.

Yes. Random glitches, etc.
That's like buying a 8 port switch and then you're told you can only use 5 ports.

I too bought this router for the 8 ports. I can't believe that's a issue on an expensive bit of kit like this.

If that is indeed the case then a factory recall is in order. IMHO

I too bought this router for the 8 ports. I can't believe that's a issue on an expensive bit of kit like this.
Maybe it isn't an issue. Or maybe it was but it's been fixed in a firmware update. None of the testing done in this thread revealed any problems with those ports.

If you're not experiencing any problems don't worry about it.

@kiomisu, it's not like buying a dedicated 8-port switch. This is primarily a router. And, only ports 1-4 are known to work reliably for everyone. But some have no issues at all (not just LAN/port issues) when they are also using ports 5-8 on Asus 8 Port routers.

The core issue is the bridging of the 2x 5-port switches to create the additional 4 ports. And many factors can affect if the issues become observable or not.

A $10 switch has solved many of the issues for people here on the forums. And don't forget the many thousands and tens of thousands that don't have any observable issues at all.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!