What's new

RT-AX88U WiFi to Intel WiFi Connects but no internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cliver

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys, we had a massive lightening strike on out house earlier in the week which blew a hole in my roof and took out my AC87U router AC86 AP and HG612 modem and several other bits with a bang.
Anyway, I now have a working modem and upgraded to the AX88U and flashed it with RMerlin 386.2_4 as my main router. All seems to be fine except on one Dell Laptop running an Intel AC9260 WiFi card. It connects to the wi fi network fine but has no internet access. All other devices seem to be fine (although I haven't connected everything back up yet. The laptop is my main device for doing all my network admin ;(
In the box that the router came in was a sheet saying I should update the driver to the latest Intel Proset driver. I have done this and am on driver version 22.40.0.7 from the Intel download site.
But this made no difference.
I haven't messed with any WiFi setting on the AX88 apart from setting my SSID and Password. As I have a lot to deal with getting everything back and dealing with insurance etc.
It seems odd that it connects but no access to the internet.
Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this?
Sorry I did a perfunctory search and found nothing on this but have a lot to get through.
Thanks, as ever, for any help.

Looking at your previous thread, did you perform a factory reset after installing the Merlin firmware?

Looking at your previous thread, did you perform a factory reset after installing the Merlin firmware?
No, is that a requirement?
I don't think I have done it previously (but I may be wrong ;)

No, is that a requirement?
I don't think I have done it previously (but I may be wrong ;)
You said you did a reset prior to installing Merlin. It shouldn't normally be necessary to do a reset after coming from stock firmware of a similar version. But if things aren't working quite right it's highly recommended that you do a reset just to be sure there isn't some incompatibility between the old and new versions. Manually configure the router after the reset. Don't reload an old settings file as that will negate the reset.

OK, I'll do that. I was thinking it was a problem with my WiFi NIC in the laptop as everything else is working fine though.

Tried doing a factory reset and setting up again from scratch. All Working but till the same Wi-Fi symptoms on my laptop sadly.
All the clients I have configured so far are working fine all on different WiFi adapters.
The only one not working is my Dell Inspiron running an Intel AC9260 WiFi card. It connects to the wi fi network fine but has no internet access. As I say I have updated the driiver as detailed on the "Advanced" Wi-Fi Helper card that came with the router.
My feelings are it's an issue between the "old" card in the laptop and the new AX standards in the new router. But I don't know enough about it to be sure, or even how to fix it. New adapter for laptop? Different driver? Change settings on Router? etc, etc.

With every Intel WiFi card I've had over the years I've found that downloading a driver that works properly is a complete lottery. I've had slightly more success by installing just the driver rather than the PROSet software which is unnecessary in a home setup.

That said, there does seem to have been known issues with the AX88U and that card. Try temporarily disabling the "ax" support (for both bands) on the router (Wireless > General > 802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6 mode) and see if that makes a difference.

I dunno if it will help coz I'm using the AX210. I had that issue before wherein the wifi stopped working when I downloaded the driver from the Windows optional driver update. I rolled back and downloaded the driver from Intel.

22.50.1.1 is the latest optional driver update from Windows (build 19043.1023) which I'm now using. It's working well with my AX88U with Merlin's latest final release.

160 MHz is enabled. Manually set the WiFi Channel to 112

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-31 at 00-05-49 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX88U - General.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-31 at 00-05-49 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX88U - General.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 109
Out of interest is there a better upgrade Wi-Fi card for a Dell Inspiron 7570 that will make better use of the AX88's Wi-Fi capabilities. Any make/model suggestions?

Out of interest is there a better upgrade Wi-Fi card for a Dell Inspiron 7570 that will make better use of the AX88's Wi-Fi capabilities. Any make/model suggestions?
The Intel AX210NGW should work with your Dell laptop.