What's new

RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Usmc1968

New Around Here
I am trying to upgrade my firmware for my RT-AX88U to the latest 386.2_4 When I download the .zip file and unzip it I get this RT-AX88U_386.1_2_cferom_ubi.w and not a .trx

any ideas as my router says this is an invalid file type.

thanks

The ".w" is correct for the AX88U. Are you sure that's what you have and not an AC88U which uses a ".trx" file?

I am trying to upgrade my firmware for my RT-AX88U to the latest 386.2_4 When I download the .zip file and unzip it I get this RT-AX88U_386.1_2_cferom_ubi.w and not a .trx
Are you sure you've unzipped the correct file? 386.2_4 should contain "RT-AX88U_386.2_4_cferom_ubi.w" not "RT-AX88U_386.1_2_cferom_ubi.w".

Are you sure you've unzipped the correct file? 386.2_4 should contain "RT-AX88U_386.2_4_cferom_ubi.w" not "RT-AX88U_386.1_2_cferom_ubi.w".
You are correct, It did download 386_2_4 it is 84.7MB. This is the error I am getting, "invalid Firmware Upload
Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This might result from incorrect image or error transmission, please check the model name RT-AX88U and version of firmware from support site and try again."

Try removing any attached USB devices and rebooting the router to free up more memory for the upgrade process.

Just tried that, still no love..Weird. I have download other versions and get the same error. I wonder if it could be a permissions issue? I am 100% certain I have the RT-AX88U Air Mesh router. I reset it to factory settings and it took me to router.asus.com The default IP was 192.168.1.1 It ran me through the setup wizard and then asked if I wanted to upgrade to firmware version 386_2_4 it upgraded but after rebooting it shows up on IP 192.168.50.1 and shows the same firmware as before 384_19_0. I even formatted the JFFS partition and rebooted several times. What the H@$$% I cannot get off from 384.19_0

Last edited:
Try going to "Administration - Firmware Upgrade" and select "Upload" from "Manual firmware update : Upload". I think you might be trying to load firmware in a location that expects a configuration file under "Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting".

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!