What's new

RT-AX89X 3.0.0.4.386.22790 observations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AOD999

New Around Here
Just starting a new thread. I've installed 3.0.0.4.386.22790 and so far everything is good. Also bringing WPA3 support as well.

After installing 3.0.0.4.386.22790, my HomeKit devices on 2.4G all fail ['not responding'] after some time. Using a sniffer app, I can see that the devices on 2.4G do not see Apple's HAP (Bonjour) messages when they enter the 'not responding' state. Upon reboot of the router/2.4G radio, the HAP messages are viewable and the HomeKit device are back until they disappear again some time later. I just went back to the previous firmware to see if it helps and to try to isolate the issue to the new current firmware.

I also installed newest firmware 3.0.0.4.386.22790 and noticed that the AUTO fan setting sets the fan speed to the equivalent of HIGH. I am not sure if that's been the case for a while now because I upgraded from old firmware 3.0.0.4.384.81377 where the fan speed on AUTO was lower than even the LOW seting. If this is a new change to the fan behavior, it may be to address the reboots? Forum member kinoka2k suggested heat/fan speed as the cause of the reboots in the last thread. Yesterday, when I was still on 81377, I had a couple reboots which seemed to stop when I manually set the fan speed to MEDIUM/HIGH. LOW did not stop the reboots and HIGH was too loud; MEDIUM is more audible than I would like but I guess I will have to live with it.

Last edited:
After installing 3.0.0.4.386.22790, my HomeKit devices on 2.4G all fail ['not responding'] after some time. Using a sniffer app, I can see that the devices on 2.4G do not see Apple's HAP (Bonjour) messages when they enter the 'not responding' state. Upon reboot of the router/2.4G radio, the HAP messages are viewable and the HomeKit device are back until they disappear again some time later. I just went back to the previous firmware to see if it helps and to try to isolate the issue to the new current firmware.
HomeKit device connectivity has been stable for the past 72 hours since rolling back to 3.0.0.4.384.82800.

I also have this problem with multiple Wemo/Belkin switches, it seems to happen when the 2.4GHz channel changes, and sometimes resolves itself over time.
However I can see all of the devices in Wemo APP.
I switched all of my Wemo devices to Google Home, and I have not seen any issues with Google home, though I have seen issues with apple home.
I wonder if this is due to a recent issue made worse by the Big Sur release regarding application certificate verification.

I also have this problem with multiple Wemo/Belkin switches, it seems to happen when the 2.4GHz channel changes, and sometimes resolves itself over time.
However I can see all of the devices in Wemo APP.
I switched all of my Wemo devices to Google Home, and I have not seen any issues with Google home, though I have seen issues with apple home.
I wonder if this is due to a recent issue made worse by the Big Sur release regarding application certificate verification.
Actually. I went back to the latest firmware and did a factory reset and my HomeKit devices including Wemo/Belkin and ecobee devices remain stable now for days.
Yes, when I was having the not responding problem, I could still see the Wemo devices in the Wemo app. HomeKit connectivity apparently uses a Bonjour like multicast protocol (HAP?) which appears to have been blocked by the RT-AX89X at times.

Well, I did the upgrade to the latest firmware on 11/12, and have had frequent disconnects. Some lasting until I reboot the router, others shorter (~15-20 sec.) - In most cases the wireless connection continues to have WAN access, but any wired connection is dropped. Did not realize the WiFi had WAN connectivity for the logest time, so I have been bugging Xfinity since 11/13. Downgraded to the prior version (3.0.0.4.384.82800), and all seems fine now. Will update in a few days, as I would have dropped connections several times a day, usually between noon - 2PM, then from 5-9PM - Go figure!

Well, I did the upgrade to the latest firmware on 11/12, and have had frequent disconnects. Some lasting until I reboot the router, others shorter (~15-20 sec.) - In most cases the wireless connection continues to have WAN access, but any wired connection is dropped. Did not realize the WiFi had WAN connectivity for the logest time, so I have been bugging Xfinity since 11/13. Downgraded to the prior version (3.0.0.4.384.82800), and all seems fine now. Will update in a few days, as I would have dropped connections several times a day, usually between noon - 2PM, then from 5-9PM - Go figure!
there was a comment in another thread about the fan speed settings, setting to high alleviated the problem, my unit seems to have the fan at full speed on Auto regardless of the temperature
I guess I am not sensitive to the fan noise, so this high speed setting is not a problem for me

I really do not believe it is heat-related.

1. When I had mine, I had an extra fan blowing directly on it, and it did not help.

2. They would not be offering different routers or refunding people's money when you RMA. They could just do a firmware update that turns the fan on high by default or change out units on-hand with better fans.

I'm one of the 89x owners who thinks heat is a factor in the reboots. I had been reboot-free for two weeks with the fan speed set on HIGH but it just reboot about an hour ago. I am throwing in the towel and have set up an RMA with Asus. I can't have my router disconnect in the middle of work. I'm back to a Netgear R9000 router which I hope will be stable enough until I settle on a more permanent option. This is one of the worst tech products I've bought, clearly unfit for purpose with a design defect. I suspect Asus knows it too since the router was never widely available and has been discontinued just months after it launched. Those who never got their hands on it should count yourselves lucky at having dodged this bullet.

I'm one of the 89x owners who thinks heat is a factor in the reboots. I had been reboot-free for two weeks with the fan speed set on HIGH but it just reboot about an hour ago. I am throwing in the towel and have set up an RMA with Asus. I can't have my router disconnect in the middle of work. I'm back to a Netgear R9000 router which I hope will be stable enough until I settle on a more permanent option. This is one of the worst tech products I've bought, clearly unfit for purpose with a design defect. I suspect Asus knows it too since the router was never widely available and has been discontinued just months after it launched. Those who never got their hands on it should count yourselves lucky at having dodged this bullet.
Where was it discontinued? I find it strange they released a new firmware version for a "discontinued" router.

A quick update - have not had a single outage with the downgraded firmware. Will not upgrade the firmware until the 22790 version has been replaced.

Not sure I follow? Discontinued? We are discussing the RT-AX89X, right? It is still listed on ASUS’s website (https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/Wireless-Routers-Products/). Where did you hear it was discontinued?

I really do not believe it is heat-related.

1. When I had mine, I had an extra fan blowing directly on it, and it did not help.

2. They would not be offering different routers or refunding people's money when you RMA. They could just do a firmware update that turns the fan on high by default or change out units on-hand with better fans.
Are they really providing refunds when you RMA? My RT-AX89X is dying now. Very Poor wifi service now...

Are they really providing refunds when you RMA? My RT-AX89X is dying now. Very Poor wifi service now...
No idea. I'm out on this router and cannot recommend it at all. My advice is to stay clear.

I haven’t run into any issues with the crab, it stays on for a week without an issue (had it 2 and half weeks now) it came with the current firmware mentioned in the header.

The 1 issue I have is transferring speeds from the primary pc to the synology nas by way of the crab (10g spf+ to nas and 10g base-t to the pc), my speeds depend on what file I’m transferring but I can get 70mb to 120mb + ish and I was expecting around 200mb + for the sea gate drives
nas drive to nas drive I get a steady 300mb
I’m using an asus xg c100c in the primary pc

All Asus models have been suffering from the reboots, it's not just the 89x. We are all hoping that this new firmware fixes the issue and are of course hoping for a quick roll out to all models.

No, not true at all. :p

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!