What's new

RT-AX89X and Smart Connect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Starrbuck

So I've been trying out Smart Connect on my RT-AX89X. Unfortunately, a lot of the settings are not configurable when Smart Connect is on. For example, I would like to be able to choose channels manually and limit the 2.4 band to 20 MHz, among other changes. (I think this may apply to other ASUS routers where we are forced to use Auto on certain settings when SC is enabled.)

Could I turn off Smart Connect so that I can change the wireless settings more to my liking and name the two SSIDs the same? Pros and cons?

What if you use different ssid for 2.4 and 5? Will this improve interference inside your hut?
I reckon more modern devices use the 5 band, and you can set WPA3 security in there.
Leave the 2.4 for old systems which i found 20Mhz is a must in compatiblity, 20/40Mhz just wont work on older devices. You can even isolate 2.4 from the 5 network IIRC, there is an isolation settings in professional, reckon this adds more security.

Definitely an option, with the two downsides being they won't be able to switch to 2.4 in low 5 signal areas, and I will have to go to each client and change them.

I have separated the 2.4 and 5 bands with different SSIDs for now. Seems to be working better since I can fiddle with more settings myself than with Smart Connect on.

I don't do smart connect on it (or my previous routers) as there are some devices that only do one that have problems connecting when they are combined and because I don't want IoT devices taking up any of the higher bandwidth 5ghz channels. The devices that can benefit from the faster speed (phone, laptop) can add both the 5 and 2.4 SSID's so you can default to the 5ghz but switch to 2.4 if you want. For my home, if I had an area where the 5ghz wifi was too weak for the higher speed devices, I would run ethernet to add an AP at that location. There is a spot or two like that but it isn't an area we use the high speed devices in so it doesn't matter.