What's new

RT-AX92u impressions?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HDGuy

Occasional Visitor
The ax92u can be found for $300 refurbed for a pair now, and I want to get people's impressions of it.

My main question:

I realize that only the mesh wireless backhaul is wifi6, and that's ok for me since I have no wifi6 devices. In this config do wired devices connected to the node take advantage of the full wifi6 backhaul bandwidth? Meaning, will I get full Gigabit (or close to it- even a consistent 867 the unit has is better than what I can do now over wireless) on the node from my Gigabit internet in wired devices?

I ask because I'm trying to get better wifi into my bedroom and I can't wire- old brick building, too difficult/expensive. If this will work for me it's a much cheaper solution than picking up an XT8- I don't really care about wifi speed (as long as it's adequate), just wired devices.

Hi,

I had same issue that wiring was no option inside an old brick building and I took the AX92 duo pack. They are connected using manual setup, because the AiMesh was totally unstable for me.
My main media machine is connected with a cable to the node, and uses the wireless backhaul to the second router and to the internet. Link speed between nodes is currently 1080 Mbps(when using 80Mhz channel bandwidth) or 667 Mbps (when using 40 Mhz channel bandwidth) When I look at my download speed with this setup, I reach 90% of my internet line speed whn going over the wireless backhaul.
With the manual settings implemented, I consider the duo AX92u excellent value for money.
Biggest negative for me is the lack of Asuswrt-Merlin custom firmware for the AX92u, because I'm sure it would be a lot more stable than with the existing Asus firmwares.

The ax92u can be found for $300 refurbed for a pair now, and I want to get people's impressions of it.

My main question:

I realize that only the mesh wireless backhaul is wifi6, and that's ok for me since I have no wifi6 devices. In this config do wired devices connected to the node take advantage of the full wifi6 backhaul bandwidth? Meaning, will I get full Gigabit (or close to it- even a consistent 867 the unit has is better than what I can do now over wireless) on the node from my Gigabit internet in wired devices?

I ask because I'm trying to get better wifi into my bedroom and I can't wire- old brick building, too difficult/expensive. If this will work for me it's a much cheaper solution than picking up an XT8- I don't really care about wifi speed (as long as it's adequate), just wired devices.

Can't comment on a pair of AX92U but I have one in a mesh with a GT-AX1000 and it's only real role is to provide ethernet connections for a bunch of media equipment. Previously was using a pair of Devolo Magic LAN 2 Poweline adapters which are supposed to give up to 2400Mbps. In reality they were reporting a link of approx 600Mbps. While perfectly adequate for media streaming, data transfer speeds were very disappointing. So I added the AX92U and now get about 4 times the transfer rate I was with the Devolos. The rate is as close to the performance of a SATA SSD that you could reasonably expect over a network. So as long as you can get a good WiFi link between the walls it should be close to ethernet levels of performance for anything directly plugged into the AX92U.

Hi,

I had same issue that wiring was no option inside an old brick building and I took the AX92 duo pack. They are connected using manual setup, because the AiMesh was totally unstable for me.
My main media machine is connected with a cable to the node, and uses the wireless backhaul to the second router and to the internet. Link speed between nodes is currently 1080 Mbps(when using 80Mhz channel bandwidth) or 667 Mbps (when using 40 Mhz channel bandwidth) When I look at my download speed with this setup, I reach 90% of my internet line speed whn going over the wireless backhaul.
With the manual settings implemented, I consider the duo AX92u excellent value for money.
Biggest negative for me is the lack of Asuswrt-Merlin custom firmware for the AX92u, because I'm sure it would be a lot more stable than with the existing Asus firmwares.

Can you explain how you set up the AX-92U without AIMesh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Hey thanks, so I'll probably pick up a refurb pair off Newegg. I have a small apartment (~900sq ft) that are converted condos from an old school, the wifi reception in here is pretty poor- I had to change phone carriers when I moved in because I kept losing reception as I walked towards the interior.

I don't even care about mesh, right now I'm using An AC68U and a Linksys wrt3200acm in a wireless bridge config. It's not ideal but it was the best I could do.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077992GG3/?tag=snbforums-20

My livingroom on the otherhand I get full Gigabit by using a Mikrotik Wireless Wire- this thing is freaking awesome. I average 110Mbps transfers to a NAS in a closet across the room. Best $180 I've spent. I hope they produce a low-cost 160Mhz device like this.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!