What's new

RT-AX92U or RT-AX58U as main router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DustyDad

New Around Here
I have two RT-AX92U routers. They are almost perfect for what I need. Both of them are in the basement and it mostly covers the main floor as well. They are wired backhaul. However, there are a few spots that are a bit flaky for signal strength on the main floor so I purchased a used RT-AX58U on the cheap so I can put it upstairs with a wired backhaul to the main router.

I’m wondering though if I should use my current RT-AX92U as the main router or switch the main router to the RT-AX58U. I’ve read it’s best to use the most advanced router for the main router. However, I like the idea of flashing ASUS-Merlin on the RT-AX58U for some of the advanced features. Not sure if that’s even worth it though as I’m not sure I’ll use the features that often.

Hoping for some good thoughtful insights here.

Welcome to the forums @DustyDad.

Using the RT-AX58U, optimally, as the main router will depend on what advanced features you want to use on it via RMerlin's firmware.

As the main router, an RT-AC86U is much more powerful. Particularly for OpenVPN use, for example.

What are your ISP speeds? What features and options would you like to experiment with? What are your expectations for your network as a whole?

Right now, I would suggest using the RT-AX58U exactly as you originally intended as an AiMesh node in the area needed.

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

I think the only two scenarios that I can think of that I would like ASUS-Merlin would be for per client configuration of OpenVPN and using the Site Survey, at least as far as I've read. I only have the RT-AX58U and the RT-AX92U at this time and don't want to go out and get another router for now since I got a good deal on the RT-AX58U. Don't really want to spend much more at this time.

My ISP speed is 1Gb up and 30Mb down.

My expectation for the network as a whole would be coverage across my entire house and most of my back yard. Back yard already has this with the current setup so no need to change anything there. I have 58 devices on my network currently. Lots of smart devices like cameras, smart switches, Google devices and things like that. But I also have a bunch of computers I run as well. It's the IoT devices that I'm looking to fix. Some of them are in spots that seem to lose signal from time to time. I want to minimize or eliminate this.

I was leaning towards your suggestion of using the RT-AX58U. Less work, but was hoping to get ASUS-Merlin going but I can work around the per client configuration of OpenVPN (I'm already doing that) and the site survey option is really only useful once in awhile. I also have the option of using an Android device I have access to for doing a site survey if needed.

1Gbps/30Mbps d/u, correct?

If you're VPN'ing into your network from a remote location, the RT-AX58U won't be a bottleneck with that low 30Mbps upload your ISP offers today. But, from within your network, it will definitely bottleneck, depending on what server you are connected to (and its capabilities).

Btw, the Site Survey on the router is infinitely more useful than any handheld device (the only Wi-Fi measurement that is important is what the router sees).

Control Channel Setup (more)

Control Channel Setup 2021

You may find the following additional link helpful too.

Almost all L&LD Links

The 5ghz 2 band (AX band) is actually the strongest wifi radio on the AX92u. However, to enable client access you'll need to enable triband mode.

This means the AX92u will have to be the main router. Might be an idea to sell the 58u and buy a used AX92u off ebay. They should be cheaper now as they were superseded by the XT8.

Yes. Sorry I transposed. It's 1Gbps/30Mbps d/u.
I do have triband enabled. So I am using the 2nd 5GHz channels on the AX92u for only certain devices like our phones and our VR headset.
If I use the AX58u as the main router will that cause any issues with features like using the AX92u's 2nd 5GHz channel?
I don't really use the gaming mode stuff that much.

If you use the AX58u as your main router and still want to take advantage of the 5GHz-2 (AX) band on your AX92us, then you have 2 options:
1) Set up the AX92us as ‘classical’ APs (so drop the AiMesh).
2) If AiMesh is a dealbreaker, then in the system settings you will need to choose wired backhaul. This will only work if you can connect your AX92us nodes to AX58u main router with Ethernet cables.

In any other scenario, the AiMesh will reserve the 5GHz-2 band as the dedicated wireless backhaul, unavailable to clients.

If you use the AX58u as your main router and still want to take advantage of the 5GHz-2 (AX) band on your AX92us, then you have 2 options:
1) Set up the AX92us as ‘classical’ APs (so drop the AiMesh).
2) If AiMesh is a dealbreaker, then in the system settings you will need to choose wired backhaul. This will only work if you can connect your AX92us nodes to AX58u main router with Ethernet cables.

In any other scenario, the AiMesh will reserve the 5GHz-2 band as the dedicated wireless backhaul, unavailable to clients.

AiMesh was recently updated to allow the 5ghz-2 wireless backhaul to be shared with clients. There's 2 ways to do it.

Tri band smart connect. Simply unplug the ethernet backhaul, it will then fallback to wireless backhaul but stay in tri band mode. This is how we operate our AX92u's.

Dual Band Smart connect. There's an option in the professional wifi settings that allows you to unhide the 5ghz2 band. Clients can then connect directly to that band.

Sharing a wireless backhaul is fine as long as you can get a backhaul speed that's twice as fast as your Internet connection. Luckily the AX92u has a very fast 5ghz2 radio, offering speeds of 2gbps+

AiMesh was recently updated to allow the 5ghz-2 wireless backhaul to be shared with clients. There's 2 ways to do it.
Of course, but this is all true only if you make an AX92U the main AiMesh router.

The initial question was about making an AX58U the main one. If you own these 2 specific routers and you do that, then you will only have access to very basic WiFi settings of the nodes. And your options for 5GHz-2 on an AX92U node will be as described in my previous post.

…unless there was another update since I last played with these 2 very models :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks. I opted to go with the RT-AX92U as the main router. I briefly tried The RT-AX58U as the main router but didn’t find Merlin firmware enough of a pro to make the permanent switch. This choice also had to do with router placement. I have more 5GHZ devices near the main router position.

The addition of the extra AP is giving my smart home devices the stability I desired, at least so far. Happy with the results.

Of course, but this is all true only if you make an AX92U the main AiMesh router.

The initial question was about making an AX58U the main one. If you own these 2 specific routers and you do that, then you will only have access to very basic WiFi settings of the nodes. And your options for 5GHz-2 on an AX92U node will be as described in my previous post.

…unless there was another update since I last played with these 2 very models :cool:
You can share the 5ghz-2 channel with clients in either dual band or tri band mode. I've not used the AX58u personally but from what I can tell, all of Asus's routers seem to use the same firmware so the settings should be there.

Tri band smart connect. Simply unplug the ethernet backhaul, it will then fallback to wireless backhaul but stay in tri band mode. This is how we operate our AX92u's.
Hello and thank you for a lot of interesting reading! I am trying to follow your instructions in order to run 2x RT-AX92Us in wireless AiMesh with Tri-Band Smart Connect, but I do not get the expected result:
  1. I install the first RT-AX92U as a router. Tri-Band Smart Connect is enabled by default. So far so good.
  2. I connect the second RT-AX92U (node) to the router via Ethernet. Then I search and connect the node from the AiMesh web interface.
  3. When the node is installed (via Ethernet), my router has jumped to Dual Band Smart Connect, the 5 GHz-2 is reserved as a dedicated wireless backhaul, and I don’t know what to do next… :)
Notes:
  • Firmware 3.0.0.4.386_46061 on both devices.
  • WPS reset before every install.
  • I use the web interface on router.asus.com (not the mobile app).
Do you have any tips? Maybe I am doing something wrong, or perhaps in the wrong order?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!