What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ThomasDenmark

New Around Here
Hi

I have two RT-AX92U Asus routers in a mesh setup, where 1 is acting AIMESH router and 1 is acting AIMESH node. So 3 questions:
- If i want to add a USB diskdrive for filestorage etc., can it really be the disk cannot be larger than 2TB. Manual says "The wireless router works with most USB HDD's/Flash disks (up to 2TB size) and supports read-write access for Fat16,FAT32, EXT32, EXT2, EXT3 and NTFS." Did any of you add larger disk with success. E.g. as NTFS formated disk and how large can you go? Please state your router model if not the RT-AX92U.
- Can it really be that it only support file sizes of max 8GB as described in seemingly old Disk Guide from Asus Support site?
- Can i add the disk to the mesh node to utilize the performance on this less occupied unit, instead of the main router unit?

Thanks.

Hi

I have two RT-AX92U Asus routers in a mesh setup, where 1 is acting AIMESH router and 1 is acting AIMESH node. So 3 questions:
- If i want to add a USB diskdrive for filestorage etc., can it really be the disk cannot be larger than 2TB. Manual says "The wireless router works with most USB HDD's/Flash disks (up to 2TB size) and supports read-write access for Fat16,FAT32, EXT32, EXT2, EXT3 and NTFS." Did any of you add larger disk with success. E.g. as NTFS formated disk and how large can you go? Please state your router model if not the RT-AX92U.
- Can it really be that it only support file sizes of max 8GB as described in seemingly old Disk Guide from Asus Support site?
- Can i add the disk to the mesh node to utilize the performance on this less occupied unit, instead of the main router unit?

Thanks.
I can't answer all your questions about the AX92U, but I have installed a 4TB USB (Western Digital Elements) drive and it seems to work fine. I had one hell of a time making it work. Under Network Place, I had to Enable Guest Login in order to mount the network drive. That solved my problem but now I get warnings that unauthorized users can access the drive, and suggests that I disable it. That seems stupid to me, but I don't have a guest network established so I won't worry about it. Now I have other problems that I am trying to figure out. When I first installed the two units, I was getting 5G speeds of 300+ throughout the house and 2.4 speeds above 50. Now my 5G speeds have slowed down to the 30s. I'm looking for info that might help with that problem.

Hi Don. Ok, Thank you for info about 4TB disk can be added. Sorry i cant help you with your problem. Speeds on my setup works very well. Maybe try and restart your router. Also you could try and see if a network cable between the two ax92u units gives the better performance you need. Try to change the channel used for 5g in case a neighbour is using the same channel as you and this is the reason. Try reverting any settings you did that could affect this problem you have, e.g. smartconnect settings. Hope you get you problem solved..

Last edited:
Some reported other limits too like about max. 70000 files. This isnt thought to give you a NAS replacement, only nice and buggy feature for marketing.

I use a 4TB USB drive (EXT4 with journaling) on a RT-AC86U without any problems. Seems to be old information.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!