1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AX92U vs RT-AX88U

Discussion in 'ASUS AX Routers & Adapters' started by NeoXx, Nov 20, 2019.

1. NeoXx

NeoXx New Around Here

I am interested in upgrading to the new AX standard and I was fixated on RT-AX88U since I previously owned RT-AC88U and really liked it.

However then I came across RT-AX92U which is 35% cheaper than RT-AX88U. Why is it cheaper considering it offers tri-band vs the AX88U's dual-band?
    I live in a flat (not a house and thus don't need massive coverage) so I'm considering whether it will be better to get RT-AX92U as it is cheaper especially if performance is similar.

Any advice?

2. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

3. AndreiV

AndreiV Very Senior Member

The reason for price difference is very obvious if you read the comparison list available on the ASUS sites:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Product-Compare/?products=pJOKxTNGAGts4Qp0,v5yxrtnas3xqir8l&b=0

4. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

forget it as it will tell just nothing.

No Linux support on 88U but 92U has it though only Win10x64 and no x32???
    Same for most of all other positions, 88U doesnt show a, b, g, n link rates (does it miss)???
    92U no IPv4 and IPv6 support?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  5. aurizn

aurizn Occasional Visitor

ASUS marketing is misleading as the RT-AX92U is not a full Wi-Fi 6 router.

Only the second 5Ghz band can support Wi-Fi 6. The 2 remaining bands are plain old Wi-Fi 5 with poor performance.

It has only 512MB RAM compared to 1GB on the RT-AX88U with a slower dual-core CPU.

Makaveli and Grisu like this.