What's new

RT-AX92U w/ RT-AX88U as node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whoooknew

Occasional Visitor
Hi All-

I have set up our 2000 sf single level space in a suburban enviro with a RT-AX92U connected directly over CAT5e to the fiOS ONT & have a RT-AX88U set as a node in mesh. I have reserved the 5GHz 2 as a dedicated Backhaul.... (I do not have the ability to have a backhaul over ethernet...Id have to share a Cat5E cable to do this, and therefore lose my Gigabit ethernet capabilities)

My ISP is providing 500Mbps max U/D Im currently using settings that provide a stable WIFI environment but I am getting less than desired performance. 104mbps U / 89 mbps D...

Any insight is appreciated...

Thanks

See the link above. Many factors affect WiFi speeds. Client capabilities is one of them.

What speeds you get when connected to 5GHz on RT-AX92U?
You should see 2x2 AC connection with 866Mbps link speed close to the router and ~400Mbps on speed test.

near the 88U node Im getting 330 down 171 Up
see pic

Attachments

• IMG_0672.PNG
    IMG_0672.PNG
    129.4 KB · Views: 173
near the 92U 156 down 111 up

see pic

tests performed on Iphn 11

Attachments

• IMG_0673.PNG
    IMG_0673.PNG
    115.7 KB · Views: 160
Are both routers set to 80MHz wide clear channels?

Something you should know your AX92U in wireless AiMesh configuration is in fact AC 2x2 router. No AX clients support. I would estimate where my AX clients are likely to be more often and use AX88U in this place. Most people on this forum would use AX88U as main router due to Merlin firmware support end enhanced features.

would it be wise to go to the Merlin firmware as well?

How I would use the hardware you have:
- AX88U as main with Asus firmware
- AX92U as node, 5GHz dedicated backhaul
- get familiar with firmware options, search, learn
- adjust the system according to my environment
- test it this way for few weeks, fine tune if needed
- upgrade AX88U to Merlin when comfortable enough managing my system

Thx K-2so

appreciate the input
will approach my set up as you recommend

watching u tube on the merlin FW now...

Hi All-

I have set up our 2000 sf single level space in a suburban enviro with a RT-AX92U connected directly over CAT5e to the fiOS ONT & have a RT-AX88U set as a node in mesh. I have reserved the 5GHz 2 as a dedicated Backhaul.... (I do not have the ability to have a backhaul over ethernet...Id have to share a Cat5E cable to do this, and therefore lose my Gigabit ethernet capabilities)

My ISP is providing 500Mbps max U/D Im currently using settings that provide a stable WIFI environment but I am getting less than desired performance. 104mbps U / 89 mbps D...

Any insight is appreciated...

Thanks
measure your signal strength
from the main router and from the secondary

a phone and a wifi analyzer application are enough for this

if the signal is less than -60 - -80dBm
then you shouldn’t wait for speeds, but you should think about how to connect the points

solution options
- connect with cable
- another mesh node
- increase the power

Last edited:
I believe the moderators will send you back to Siberia soon. :mad:
I understand you have nothing more to say
You don’t understand much about wifi networks and why they work like that.
because of my work, I am often involved in the construction of large wireless networks the size of a whole city block
and high speed is one of the criteria for network quality

You can solve the problem in different ways, the simplest is a cable or add another node

just in case, do you have smart connect on?

being capped @ 100Mbps ish sounds like it's using 2.4Ghz instead of 5Ghz

if anything, turn off smart connect and set the ssid differently for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz to test again. (might also need to reconfigure the mesh too)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!