What's new

RT-N16 Limiting wired speed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stylomax

New Around Here
Hopefully I'll be able to figure out if my router is the cause of my current bottleneck or if there is something else that I should look into first. The issue that I'm running into is that if I max out my downstream (or at least max what the router can handle) at approximately 15MB/sec the router is no longer able to establish new connections. Any existing connections are fine but if I try and do something like bring up a webpage via a wired or wireless client it will not load. I have the last version of AsusWRT Merlin that was supported by this router loaded (I have not tried the forks as of yet) so I'm not sure what else to check. I should note that AsusWRT reports 95 to 100% CPU usage when my router is downloading at this speed.

Here's my basic network setup:

1 wired client running Windows 10 Pro
1 wired client running Windows 7 Ultimate
1 server running Windows Server 2008 R2 (runs a local DNS server among other duties)
1 wireless client running Windows 10 Pro
2 Android wireless devices, 1 Google Chrome and 1 Dish Network Hopper w/Sling (wired) along with an XBox 360 & PS3 wired
Arris CM820 cable modem
Asus RT-N16 router
HP Procurve 3500yl-48G switch

Which of the following should I look into:

1) Load a more up to date fork of AsusWRT (may do this anyway since I doubt it would make things worse)
2) Look into changing some settings (I am not using QoS, any of the AiCloud features and IPv6 is disabled)
3) Replace it with a newer router (If so which one would be suggested in the $75 - $100 range?)

Thanks for any help you folks can provide.

Hopefully I'll be able to figure out if my router is the cause of my current bottleneck or if there is something else that I should look into first. The issue that I'm running into is that if I max out my downstream (or at least max what the router can handle) at approximately 15MB/sec the router is no longer able to establish new connections. Any existing connections are fine but if I try and do something like bring up a webpage via a wired or wireless client it will not load. I have the last version of AsusWRT Merlin that was supported by this router loaded (I have not tried the forks as of yet) so I'm not sure what else to check. I should note that AsusWRT reports 95 to 100% CPU usage when my router is downloading at this speed.

Here's my basic network setup:

1 wired client running Windows 10 Pro
1 wired client running Windows 7 Ultimate
1 server running Windows Server 2008 R2 (runs a local DNS server among other duties)
1 wireless client running Windows 10 Pro
2 Android wireless devices, 1 Google Chrome and 1 Dish Network Hopper w/Sling (wired) along with an XBox 360 & PS3 wired
Arris CM820 cable modem
Asus RT-N16 router
HP Procurve 3500yl-48G switch

Which of the following should I look into:

1) Load a more up to date fork of AsusWRT (may do this anyway since I doubt it would make things worse)
2) Look into changing some settings (I am not using QoS, any of the AiCloud features and IPv6 is disabled)
3) Replace it with a newer router (If so which one would be suggested in the $75 - $100 range?)

Thanks for any help you folks can provide.

Surely I'd go for newer router with more processing power as well as memory. And don't be afraid of getting 2nd hand one if it is in 100% working or refurbished ones. Personally I over buy than my requirement to have some reserve horse power. I do same with other things like an automobile. And please distinguish MB and Mb, two different units.

Surely I'd go for newer router with more processing power as well as memory. And don't be afraid of getting 2nd hand one if it is in 100% working or refurbished ones. Personally I over buy than my requirement to have some reserve horse power. I do same with other things like an automobile. And please distinguish MB and Mb, two different units.

Yeah I thought a new router would likely be the new answer, just wanted to make sure I was covering all of my bases. Sorry I wasn't clear on the speed as I shortened it a bit too much, it's 15 MegaBytes per second or 120 megabits per second. Any particular routers that you would recommend? Right now I'm looking at the TP-Link Archer C7 and the Asus RT-N66U.

I would say no to both of those choices (very outdated, the C7 with old, insecure code and the RT-N66U is just plain too old today).

The price range you are looking at should comfortably get you into an RT-AC56U that (except for external antennae and one antennae less) is hardware equivalent to an RT-AC68U which is measurably above the RT-N66U you're considering.

If you can wait to hit a sale, you may even find an RT-AC56U in the $50 range (depending on your location). :)

Thanks for the info L&LD, I'll keep an eye out for deals on both the RT-AC56U and the RT-AC68U, who knows perhaps there will be a sale where I can get the AC68U for close to $100. I had already planned on loading AsusWRT Merlin on the new router anyways, thanks for the link though.

Thanks for the info L&LD, I'll keep an eye out for deals on both the RT-AC56U and the RT-AC68U, who knows perhaps there will be a sale where I can get the AC68U for close to $100. I had already planned on loading AsusWRT Merlin on the new router anyways, thanks for the link though.

You'll see good improvement with either one of those two. At least one of those two. Good luck.

I had same issue with rt-16 it dropped my 100 mbit to 35 and have about 15 devices.the router was dying as got a rt-ac56 and right back to 100 mbps wotks great.amazon has the rt-ac56 at 89.00 with a 20 rebate from asus till the end of the month.

just a heads up here seems asus have released a new beta firmware for the good old N16 which includes the qos bandwidth limiting feature , have dragged out my old n16 and installed and works fine

see release notes below

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN16/HelpDesk_Download/

ASUS RT-N16 Firmware version 9.0.0.4.380.2985
[Beta release]

Security fixes
- Updated OpenSSL library to 1.0.2d
- Fixed User-Agent buffer overflow.
- Fixed null ptr dereference in https issue.
- Fixed buffer overflow issues.
- Modified brute-force protection mechanism in router login page.
- Fixed CVE-2015-6949 buffer overflow issue.
- Fixed Web server Accept-Language buffer overflow.
- Fixed Web server URL handler buffer overflow.
- Fixed CSRF and XSS vulnerability.
- Enhanced router login password and wireless password(WPA2) strength check method to against brute-force attack.
- Reject administrator to set too easy to guess login and wireless password to avoid brute-force attack.
- Fixed CSRF and XSS vulnerability when router is in default status (user does not set the router yet)
- Modified the access rights of account mode and share mode to asusware.platform path when lighttpd server is enabled.
- Modified the access rights to specific port of UPnP server.
- Updated lighttpd server version to 1.4.39
- Restricted access from wan method to enhance security.
- Changed Telnet default access interface.

New Features
- Support ASUS Router App
- Added Bandwidth Limiter in QoS. Let administrator easily limit specific client's upload/ download bandwidth
- Independent mac filter for main wireless network and guest network. Administrator can set white list for main wireless network to only allow trust client connect to main wireless network and share network to guest with guest network
- Modified the network map client status. When chick the client icon, administrator can bind IP, change host name, change icon, block internet access or set time scheduling.
- Added client list view button on network map and help administrator easily monitor all client connection status.
- Add reboot schedule in Administration --> System
- Supported auto dynamic port changing of UPnP server when ports conflict.

Modifications
- Adjusted Guest network mac filter maximum client number to 16
- Show current control channel while value is set to auto.
- Bandwidth limiter can accept decimal point.
- Unnecessary to reboot router after set allow only specified IP address to enter GUI.
- Changed warning page style.

Bug fixes
- Fixed setup wizard IE11 compatibility issue.
- Fixed MAC clone abnormal issue
- Fixed web redirection issue when WAN IP conflicted.
- Fixed compatibility issues for IE8
- Fixed GUI related issues
- Fixed login issue when router’s IP is 10.x.x.x
- Fixed parental control-> time scheduling related issue.
- Fixed IPv6 relay issues.
- Fixed the GUI issue for reboot scheduler

just a heads up here seems asus have released a new beta firmware for the good old N16 which includes the qos bandwidth limiting feature , have dragged out my old n16 and installed and works fine

see release notes below

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN16/HelpDesk_Download/

ASUS RT-N16 Firmware version 9.0.0.4.380.2985
[Beta release]

Security fixes
- Updated OpenSSL library to 1.0.2d
- Fixed User-Agent buffer overflow.
- Fixed null ptr dereference in https issue.
- Fixed buffer overflow issues.
- Modified brute-force protection mechanism in router login page.
- Fixed CVE-2015-6949 buffer overflow issue.
- Fixed Web server Accept-Language buffer overflow.
- Fixed Web server URL handler buffer overflow.
- Fixed CSRF and XSS vulnerability.
- Enhanced router login password and wireless password(WPA2) strength check method to against brute-force attack.
- Reject administrator to set too easy to guess login and wireless password to avoid brute-force attack.
- Fixed CSRF and XSS vulnerability when router is in default status (user does not set the router yet)
- Modified the access rights of account mode and share mode to asusware.platform path when lighttpd server is enabled.
- Modified the access rights to specific port of UPnP server.
- Updated lighttpd server version to 1.4.39
- Restricted access from wan method to enhance security.
- Changed Telnet default access interface.

New Features
- Support ASUS Router App
- Added Bandwidth Limiter in QoS. Let administrator easily limit specific client's upload/ download bandwidth
- Independent mac filter for main wireless network and guest network. Administrator can set white list for main wireless network to only allow trust client connect to main wireless network and share network to guest with guest network
- Modified the network map client status. When chick the client icon, administrator can bind IP, change host name, change icon, block internet access or set time scheduling.
- Added client list view button on network map and help administrator easily monitor all client connection status.
- Add reboot schedule in Administration --> System
- Supported auto dynamic port changing of UPnP server when ports conflict.

Modifications
- Adjusted Guest network mac filter maximum client number to 16
- Show current control channel while value is set to auto.
- Bandwidth limiter can accept decimal point.
- Unnecessary to reboot router after set allow only specified IP address to enter GUI.
- Changed warning page style.

Bug fixes
- Fixed setup wizard IE11 compatibility issue.
- Fixed MAC clone abnormal issue
- Fixed web redirection issue when WAN IP conflicted.
- Fixed compatibility issues for IE8
- Fixed GUI related issues
- Fixed login issue when router’s IP is 10.x.x.x
- Fixed parental control-> time scheduling related issue.
- Fixed IPv6 relay issues.
- Fixed the GUI issue for reboot scheduler

Can you check to see if they enable OpenVPN on this new build by any chance?