What's new

RT-N66 AiRadar Features Gone?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Dark910

I've read a few threads about the Asus AiRadar feature advertised for the RT-N66, suggesting how it was a set of features designed to enhance signal prior to things that were marketed as beamforming, etc.

However, it seems like part of the AiRadar features have been removed from the firmware for quite some time. It's been a long time since, so I cannot really remember what the last build was that still had the feature.

When I first purchased this router, I recall that when you would connect/attempt to connect devices to the router, it would somehow boost the RSSI values to that client by 3 or so, give or take. I also recall that you could put a scanning device in between the connected device, and you could visualize that the signal was being boosted, and it would often jump up and down to a higher signal value than it would otherwise. I could be misremembering, but I feel like I remember being able to tell when someone tried attaching to the network based on whether I saw the network strength start fluctuating when it was trying to do this sort of boost feature. Maybe it even stabilized the boost when the client was doing downloads, again, the details are fuzzy since it's been a while.

Then after one firmware update a long time ago, this all sort of went away and it no longer continued doing whatever it was doing. It doesn't do it on the last release with the non-latest wireless drivers. I think I went back to an older early firmware at one point, and noticed it would happen again, but I could be remembering incorrectly. It basically did what its marketing on the box showed, enhance the signal to the connected clients.

Between the output power being nerfed on the RT-N66 over the years(even on 2.4 GHz and the upper 5 GHz channels) and removal of the features that seemed to be part of AiRadar, it seems like the router is a shell of it's original self. Asus seemed to go a bit overboard when they were found to be cheating the then lower output restrictions. The router is still decently strong range-wise on the .43 fork firmware, but it used to be even stronger. Forget the newer firmwares, where the range is heavily decreased.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think AiRadar was just a marketing term Asus invented for their universal beamforming.

No idea. To be honest I don't ever remember seeing AiRadar or beamforming as an option in my N66U's settings.

EDIT: According to this it was only ever an option for 5GHz on the AC66U (which is similar to the the N66U). Maybe it was only applicable to "ac" mode.

EDIT: According to this it was only ever an option for 5GHz on the AC66U (which is similar to the the N66U). Maybe it was only applicable to "ac" mode.
The thing I'm referring to was on 2.4 GHz. It could've been on 5 GHz as well though.

I was never really 100% certain what exactly it was, but it was a feature of the router that went away over time based on my observations. Don't recall if the RT-N66 ever had any beamforming settings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!