What's new

RT-N66U 2.4 GHz problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chippy_boy

Regular Contributor
I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this please?

I've been using an RT-N66U for years since it's rock solid stable and has great wifi coverage in my house. However, I was messing about with IPv6 settings earlier today (to fix an unrelated issue) and something has happened to my 2.4 GHz performance.

With a device as close as a few feet from the router, I am getting sync speed of around 150 Mb/s but actual download speeds are terrible - like maybe 3 Mb/s maximum. And then when I check the sync speed again, it's dropped to only 4 or 5 Mb/s even right next to the router.

There's no other networks near to me on the 2.4 band, so no interference going on. And the 5 GHz band is working just fine. I've rebooted several times, switched IPv6 off, and finally upgraded to latest Merlin FW, but nothing seems to fix it.

Do you think this is a configuration issue, or is the antenna dying perhaps? I need the 2.4 band for some legacy devices, so it's a problem I need to solve.

Thanks

factory default ?

Sorry for the late reply folks.

After a number of reboots, it's miraculously decided to work fine now. I've no idea what the problem was. (5 GHz was always OK, btw.)

Thanks for your help.