What's new

RT-N66U 2.4Ghz LED dead?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nite

New Around Here
Hey everyone! I'm experiencing an issue with my new RT-N66U running Asuswrt-Merlin. I updated the CFE to 1.0.3 for future DD-WRT use and then I flashed the latest Asuswrt Merlin build. I always disable the radios when I first am configuring a router until I've set up everything securely.

This time, when I reenabled the radios, the 2.4 Ghz LED is not turning back on. I tried several rounds of stopping and starting it, as well as turning on and off stealth mode.

I also flashed several other firmwares as well including Fractal's DD-WRT builds and even back to stock to no avail - I can't get the damn thing to turn on again!

Is there any way I can check if the LED is damaged? Is this a bug? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

It's very unusual for a LED to die - those things are very long-lasting.

Did you try a factory default reset?

Also, do you actually see the 2.4 GHz SSID being broadcasted?

Hey RMerlin! Thanks for responding - really hoping that LED is still alive.

I did a reset using the WPS button. Should I try another method? Yes, the 2.4Ghz is broadcasting. All my machines are connected to it, but the light is not lit.

Edit: Okay, did a factory reset from within the firmware. No change. Light is still dead. Other lights are fine, but 2.4G still not coming on.

Last edited:
Hey RMerlin! Thanks for responding - really hoping that LED is still alive.

I did a reset using the WPS button. Should I try another method? Yes, the 2.4Ghz is broadcasting. All my machines are connected to it, but the light is not lit.

Edit: Okay, did a factory reset from within the firmware. No change. Light is still dead. Other lights are fine, but 2.4G still not coming on.

Looks like your LED is indeed dead. Quite unusual I must say :( Could be a bad solder joint that eventually got loose through heat.

Hi,

i'm having the same problem. My led on 2.4 Ghz band is not working, the 5 Ghz and wired ports works well. I'm sure the 2.4Ghz is broadcasting, because i can see it in inssider!
i'm using the stock asus 3.0.0.4.260 firmware. the router is about 3 weeks old now. probably it is a bug or something else?

Try making a backup of your settings, then resetting to factory defaults. The LED gpio is configured in nvram, so maybe that setting somehow got corrupted. If factory default settings don't work either, you can reload your saved settings rather than reconfigure everything for nothing.

Hello,
I tried all methods to reset the router but nothing helps.
Is it worth to send it back for just the led or is there probably something more wrong?

Hello,
I tried all methods to reset the router but nothing helps.
Is it worth to send it back for just the led or is there probably something more wrong?

Your call there. If the radio works fine, then it must be just the led. Which is still odd - LEDs are pretty long-lasting devices.

yes the radio's works just fine :p ! it's probably just the led or a bad contact between the led and the board.

thx for the reply!

My opinion, and you know what they say about opinions, is if it is still under exchange period I'd exchange it.

This is a small matter. No doubt. But if you consider it is a warning shot across the bow that something else is coming down the way then it seems to me wisdom is to heed the warning and exchange it before you exceed the exchange period.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!