What's new

[RT-N66U] - 5Ghz drops

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DaaT

New Around Here
Hi everyone. I've had this router for maybe 3 years now and though drops were always present, they were never this bad, as it's now happening several times every day.

It's set to 40Mhz, channel (not auto) 136. There's no 5Ghz congestion, only one other AP in a different channel.

The router's running the latest firmware from Nov 1st and even tried the Merlin firmware, but no changes. I've searched online and found others with similar issues in the past, but am wondering if there's a way to sort it or is a new router the best way to go.

Thanks.

Edit: just to add there are no USB drives attached and the 2.4 network is stable.

Last edited:
Multiple very long threads regarding this issue. Not sure anyone has for sure identified the culprit. I gave up, disabled WiFi, and just use it as a router.

Thanks Michael, guess it's time to get a new router. Any suggestions? Don't need a top of the line, latest & greatest, just some nice speeds (though no ac devices atm, but will have) and stability.

If the N66 was serving your needs just fine, just keep looking at the newer Asus line and pick one in your price range. Personally, I can't give any specific recommendations since I don't use any of them. There are gobs of threads on here that give 20 million opinions for replacements. Pick a budget, research on the reviews, and go buy one. If the N66 was fine for you, it won't be hard to find something affordable to replace it.

My vote...keep the N66 as your router and go buy a dedicated AP to serve your WiFi needs. That is what my problematic N66 is doing...handling router duties at my in-laws house while Ubiquiti APs handle WiFi duties.

Thanks for the suggestion mgeoffriau, checked and it doesn't overheat.

Michael, decided to go for the Netgear X4S (R7800p), seems like a solid router.