What's new

Rt-n66u and Androids running IP Webcam -Router seems to lose Connection to Phones

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lanman

Occasional Visitor
Summary: I have 2 LG Optimus V phones running Android 2.2. They are old without cell service but still work fine on wireless LAN. I start up IP Webcam on each phone and all works fine for any viewing until about 24-26 hours later. At that point, the phones stop streaming.

More Details:
  • If I start streaming at 8AM today, they'll stop working tomorrow between 8 and 10AM. If I start streaming at noon today, they'll stop working tomorrow between noon and 2PM. Both phones stop streaming.
  • If I ping the phones after they stop working, sometimes the return the ping. Sometimes they say "not reachable".
  • Today, when I looked at the "not reachable" phone, it was still displaying video, but when I touched the screen up popped a message box on that phone that said "Sorry! Activity IP Webcam (in application IP Webcam) is not responding" (I pushed the "report" button). This phone was the one that was "unreachable". I stopped the app and restarted it.
  • On the other phone, IP Webcam was simply at the main menu... the camera stopped streaming.
  • Interestingly, when I looked at the RT-N66U neither phone was registered as being on the router. When I looked at the System Log at the leases (which I set to 1 hour to troubleshoot) neither phone had an existing lease. Other wireless devices were fine.
  • On the subject of lease, it was originally set to 24 hours. I suspected this was somehow messing up the android phones so I set it to 1 hour sort of hoping to see the ip-webcams stop working after 1 hour, but it made no difference.
  • Each phone is manually Assigned IP from the DHCP on the router. Additionally, I am port forwarding a different port to each phone.
  • After they stop working, Simply by "touching" the phones again and doing something that causes them to talk to the router, they are reconnected, and the router again shows their IP as active, and the lease on their IP is started over. In other words, I don't have to reboot the phones, or even restart IP Webcam app on the phones.

Router: Asus rt-n66u running Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.35_4 (Merlin build)
Ports: Forwarded on router
Phones: static IP addresses set on the router
Android Phones: LG Optimus V running 2.2, fully reset before installing IP Webcam.

I think I've finally decided that the router is somehow losing track of the phone, for some reason, at a 24-26 hour interval, until the phone is "touched" in some way.

I'd appreciate any ideas anyone can offer.

Are we reading the same things? It seems like the phones are the problem, not the router.

I've got multiple android devices running ipwebcam (as well as foscam ip cameras) all connected wirelessly to my n66u. I've never had an android camera drop out. There's a setting in ipwebcam regarding stopping the phone going to sleep, have you checked that setting ? Also a setting regarding the device being a dedicated IP camera, there's a setting to stream on boot, ie as soon as the device is switched on, there are notes regarding this setting about the phone overheating and switching off. This may be what's happening, it may be to much workload for the old phone.
The only other thing I can think of is that none of my androids are that old, not 2.2, they're all 4.x.x, jellybean.
In using tinycam monitor on my andriod phone to view my cameras at home and remotely. I'm also using my pc to record motion from all cameras. I use a programme called iSPY connect.

Paul.

Guess. Phone is going into some sort of wireless power saving mode and router may or may not be handling the ps mode correctly or the phone is mis set somehow...

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

Guess. Phone is going into some sort of wireless power saving mode and router may or may not be handling the ps mode correctly or the phone is mis set somehow...

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I also wondered if could be some wireless weirdness on the Phone so I put automateit on the phone to disconnect wireless at 6AM and and reconnect wireless at 6:05AM. This was earlier this week. Didn't have any affect. They both cut out at the exact same amount of time once set up. In other words. If I "touch" one phone later in the day and then set it back it is 24-26 hours to the mark and it stops while the first phone stops after its mark. Having Automateit disconnect wireless part way through the day had no affect on extending (or reducing) the amount of time before the phones lose contact to the router (even though touching the phones reconnects). So yeah, likely the phone or maybe something in Android 2.2 and how the Router plays. I don't know what else to check.

The phones never feel warm to the touch, so hard to believe they are overheating.

Settings on IP Webcam are:
Primary address Family IPv4
Prevent Going to Sleep = Checked
Stream on Device Boot = Checked

I thought about rooting the phones, then (I think) I can use automateit to force a daily reboot. But not sure I want this level of effort. Is there anything a log from the router would reveal?

For the price of mobile phones I wouldn't be bothering myself with the old LG phones. I've bought 2 android phones at my local supermarket, Samsung galaxy pocket, android 4.1 for £39. They're unlocked for any network so can be used as phones if needed. CCTV is getting so cheap.

Paul.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!