What's new

RT-N66U & ATT 3G data card issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MxRacer965

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

Hoping someone can help get me pointed in the right direction. I have the RT-N66U at home and love it. For a project at work I purchased another one with the idea that I would be able to connect my AT&T LG AD600 (USBConnect Adrenaline) 3G/4G data card to it. I see on the Asus web site, this USB modem is supported (supposedly), and the router DOES indeed "see" it, but I have yet to get a web connection and share it via the router.

When I look at the settings screen for the 3G/4G device, I tried setting the country to USA and chose AT&T as the provider, but most of the fields were empty. I tried manually entering the information that I found on the web for AT&T data cards (APN, user name, password) and still no luck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? My goal is to use my data card for a web connection, enable the PPTP VPN and allow others to VPN to my remote install I am working on with a customer.

Thanks in advance!

Can you tell us which version of firmware you're running? I don't have any experience with those types of modems, but I think there may have been problems with earlier firmware using those? Either way I think having your firmware version listed would be helpful for someone that can help you.

Thanks and good luck.

Thanks for the reply, I was starting to compile all the information I had after trying to get this working for a good portion of the day yesterday. I'm going to get the logs from the router today after I try a couple things. Currently I'm running 3.0.0.3.178.15 (Merlins firmware). I tried just the run of the mill .178 firmware and didn't have any luck with that, so I tried Merlins. I'm going to try .162 as well right now.

Strange thing I see is when I choose USA as the country and ATT as the provider and save, when I look at the display it changes from ATT to Italia something for the provider and the APN changes from "broadband" to "proxy". Wondering if that is the root of my problems. I've also tried manually configuring. No luck. I tried each of the modem types (UMTS, EVDO, etc) and made sure the APN was "broadband" for ATT. No go. I also noticed that my device is not actually listed in the drop down to choose which modem you are using...though I double checked the web site and the LG AD600 is clearly stated as being supported. Is this made by another manufacturer FOR LG?

I'll be posting some logs and screen shots soon hopefully. Trying to figure this out between making sure this project remains on track.

Thanks for the reply, I was starting to compile all the information I had after trying to get this working for a good portion of the day yesterday. I'm going to get the logs from the router today after I try a couple things. Currently I'm running 3.0.0.3.178.15 (Merlins firmware). I tried just the run of the mill .178 firmware and didn't have any luck with that, so I tried Merlins. I'm going to try .162 as well right now.

Strange thing I see is when I choose USA as the country and ATT as the provider and save, when I look at the display it changes from ATT to Italia something for the provider and the APN changes from "broadband" to "proxy". Wondering if that is the root of my problems. I've also tried manually configuring. No luck. I tried each of the modem types (UMTS, EVDO, etc) and made sure the APN was "broadband" for ATT. No go. I also noticed that my device is not actually listed in the drop down to choose which modem you are using...though I double checked the web site and the LG AD600 is clearly stated as being supported. Is this made by another manufacturer FOR LG?

I'll be posting some logs and screen shots soon hopefully. Trying to figure this out between making sure this project remains on track.

Don't know if this is an issue here, just a thought, but I'd recommend using IE9/IE10 browser with the GUI. Noticed the other day that the "dual WAN" page doesn't seem to be fully rendered with either Chrome or FF. So if you're not using IE browser, give that a try and see if you see more GUI settings.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am using IE9. Maybe I should be using Firefox instead and it would work better! ;)

I have a case number opened up with Asus right now to look into this. I spent an hour on the phone with them going through everything that I already tried. I suspect that it is an issue with the firmware. Attached is the log from the router when it was running Merlin's version of the .178 firmware.

You can see that the USB modem is detected, initialized, and Generic_conn.scr is ran, but fails. There is nothing that indicated what the failure might be, but it is repeated numerous times in the log. So the router is doing what it is supposed it in seeing that the WAN connection is down, and a USB modem is available, so it attempts to use it but whatever "script" is supposed to run never does. I'm not sure if this is related to the glitch I am seeing with the USB modem configuration screen - when I choose USA for country and AT&T as the provider, as soon as I apply the changes the provider changes to a provider with "italia" in the name (the router is currently unavailable or I would be able to provide the exact name). It's the first provider in the list...coincidence? No idea.

Anyway, anybody else feel like taking a crack at the log to see if there is anything I'm missing, or see if there is anything else I can try other than wait and hope for a new version of firmware?

Attachments

• syslog2.txt
    17.8 KB · Views: 353