What's new

RT-N66U Bricked - No WIFI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dibs

Occasional Visitor
Hi
I desperately need some help with recovering my Asus RT-N66U router. Due to some issues with my fiber connection, the ISP guys had to reset my router and eventually bricked it.
The power led and the Lan port 1 led stays on. The wifi led do not come on. I tried flashing the nvram using the WPS and power button, tried the 30,30,30 reset but nothing seem to work.
I even tried factory reset but somehow my old settings remained. I could see the wireless channel set at 0. And there is no option to change it. I tried flasing the stock firmware(RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_382_52272-g73d3ea2) from the Asus site, but nothing changed. Finally I tried flashing the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware RT-N66U_380.70_0 using the Asus Firmware Restoration tool.
On completion I left the router for about 2 hours for everything to workout. Now when I try to log in at 192.168.1.1 it tells me "Note: the router you are using is not an Asus device or has not been authorised by ASUS. ASUSWRT might not work properly on this device". I have tried multiple browsers but no go. The LED status remains the same. Please help. I really do not want to give up on this router. Router LED Status.jpgLogin Screen error.JPG

Hi
I desperately need some help with recovering my Asus RT-N66U router. Due to some issues with my fiber connection, the ISP guys had to reset my router and eventually bricked it.
The power led and the Lan port 1 led stays on. The wifi led do not come on. I tried flashing the nvram using the WPS and power button, tried the 30,30,30 reset but nothing seem to work.
I even tried factory reset but somehow my old settings remained. I could see the wireless channel set at 0. And there is no option to change it. I tried flasing the stock firmware(RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_382_52272-g73d3ea2) from the Asus site, but nothing changed. Finally I tried flashing the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware RT-N66U_380.70_0 using the Asus Firmware Restoration tool.
On completion I left the router for about 2 hours for everything to workout. Now when I try to log in at 192.168.1.1 it tells me "Note: the router you are using is not an Asus device or has not been authorised by ASUS. ASUSWRT might not work properly on this device". I have tried multiple browsers but no go. The LED status remains the same. Please help. I really do not want to give up on this router.View attachment 28916View attachment 28917

It's not bricked if you are logging into it.

First, here is how to Hard Reset the RT-N66U:

ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 1
1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power LED light starts flashing.
5. Power light stops flashing and the router will automatically reboot.

Then if you can login, flash the latest stock Asuswrt firmware 3.0.0.4.382.52272. Then reset the firmware to factory defaults.

OE

This thread should be of interest.

read the post by
dividebyzer0

Good luck.

It's not bricked if you are logging into it.

First, here is how to Hard Reset the RT-N66U:

ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 1
1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power LED light starts flashing.
5. Power light stops flashing and the router will automatically reboot.

Then if you can login, flash the latest stock Asuswrt firmware 3.0.0.4.382.52272. Then reset the firmware to factory defaults.

OE

Hi OE
So, I did the Hard Factory Reset using the steps you stated. Now when I try to go to 192.168.1.1, I get "This site can't be reached". My System IP Settings are IP: 192.168.1.5, Subnet: 255.25555.255.0, Gateway: 192.168.1.1. When I try to ping the router I get Request Timed Out.

I have waited for like 45 minutes. Is it supposed to take this long for the reboot.

Hi OE
So, I did the Hard Factory Reset using the steps you stated. Now when I try to go to 192.168.1.1, I get "This site can't be reached". My System IP Settings are IP: 192.168.1.5, Subnet: 255.25555.255.0, Gateway: 192.168.1.1. When I try to ping the router I get Request Timed Out.

I have waited for like 45 minutes. Is it supposed to take this long for the reboot.

Is your PC wired directly to the RT-N66U LAN port? And no other devices are connected to the RT-N66U?

Did your cycle power on the router? How did it come up LED-wise?

OE

Is your PC wired directly to the RT-N66U LAN port? And no other devices are connected to the RT-N66U?

Did your cycle power on the router? How did it come up LED-wise?

OE

Hi OE

My Laptop is wired to LAN Port 1 of the RT-N66U. There is nothing else connected to the router. I disconnected everything before doing the Hard Factory reset.

I've fought with 3x N66U's over the years, they can be frustrating.

I highly recommend booting back into Asus Recovery and flashing Johns Fork, and like you after flashing I've had to wait well over an hour for everything to come up on the router many times in the past

Because you've been flashing between major releases of Asus firmware my guess is you just havent let it sit untouched after flashing long enough for the unit to reconfigure itself and bring up the radios.

I've fought with 3x N66U's over the years, they can be frustrating.

I highly recommend booting back into Asus Recovery and flashing Johns Fork, and like you after flashing I've had to wait well over an hour for everything to come up on the router many times in the past

Because you've been flashing between major releases of Asus firmware my guess is you just havent let it sit untouched after flashing long enough for the unit to reconfigure itself and bring up the radios.
Hi Maverick

I have waited for like overnight after every flashing. Till Now I have tried flashing the Router twice using the Firmware Recover Utility and have waited for like 7 to 8 hours every time. The wifi radio is still not working. I will try to flash using Johns Fork.

Yeesh, rough, Id give it like 1.5 hrs max thats the worst I ever recall anyway with my 1 unit that always has been flaky, generally it was a crap shoot between 10 - 45 mins. But all 3 of my units did come second hand and 1 has been relegated to backup duty because of the grief it gives me

Do the recovery (MiniCFE flash page), flash Johns fork, and let it sit for 20 mins, access the webgui and be sure to reset to factory defaults and power cycle. If your radio channels still list only 0 I think thats a tell tale for Asus WIFI failures.

Maybe others can chime in with their experiences with the N66U

Yeesh, rough, Id give it like 1.5 hrs max thats the worst I ever recall anyway with my 1 unit that always has been flaky, generally it was a crap shoot between 10 - 45 mins. But all 3 of my units did come second hand and 1 has been relegated to backup duty because of the grief it gives me

Do the recovery (MiniCFE flash page), flash Johns fork, and let it sit for 20 mins, access the webgui and be sure to reset to factory defaults and power cycle. If your radio channels still list only 0 I think thats a tell tale for Asus WIFI failures.

Maybe others can chime in with their experiences with the N66U
At the moment, I cannot get to the 192.168.1.1 page and neither can I get on the CFE Mini Web Server. When I ping the router I get Request Times out. Any suggestions please.

At the moment, I cannot get to the 192.168.1.1 page and neither can I get on the CFE Mini Web Server. When I ping the router I get Request Times out. Any suggestions please.

I always do recovery flash with a static ip set on my pc/laptop.
I mostly use
192.168.1.10 static ip
192.168.1.1 gateway

9 out of 10 times flash goes without hassle then even on the most screwed up routers.
Make sure to put the router in recovery mode.

I tried to set my router into recovery mode by doing the following:
1. Powered down the router
2. Press and hold down the reset button and powered up the router
3. Power led starts to flash slowly and let go of the reset button
4. Power led keeps flashing slowly
5. Connected LAN cable to Lan port 1
6. Set PC IP details to :
192.168.1.10 static ip
192.168.1.1 gateway

Ethernet Adapter says - Unidentified network
Ping Response to 192.168.1.1 says Request Timed Out

Launched Firmware Restoration Utility. Selected the John Fork release(RT-N66U_374.43_46E8j9527).
When I click on upload it says The wireless router is not in rescue mode.
Kind of Stuck in limbo.

I tried to set my router into recovery mode by doing the following:
1. Powered down the router
2. Press and hold down the reset button and powered up the router
3. Power led starts to flash slowly and let go of the reset button
4. Power led keeps flashing slowly
5. Connected LAN cable to Lan port 1
6. Set PC IP details to :
192.168.1.10 static ip
192.168.1.1 gateway

Ethernet Adapter says - Unidentified network
Ping Response to 192.168.1.1 says Request Timed Out
I had to use recovery mode on my N66U recently to flash a firmware and it reminded me how temperamental the procedure can sometimes be.

Basically I had to keep repeating what you've just tried until I could get it to successfully respond to the ping. Rebooting the PC after setting its static IP details helped I think.

Last edited:
Try setting up your PC static address and connecting the LAN cable. Then start a continuous ping to the router.
Now try the procedure to start the router in rescue mode. When you see the ping respond, abort it and you should be able to proceed.

Bummer, trust me I know your frustration.

The fact two of the sites top gurus responded here is a testament to the N66U's infamous flash conundrums when things dont go well.

For clarification, theres two methods to recovery.
Router Built in CFE Flash webserver
Asus Software Firmware restoration

Ive never had success with the software restoration utility, I always managed a way to get the built-in CFE Flash webserver (power cycle/reset router while trying to load webpage @ 192.168.1.1) page to come up and flashed that way, reading around, others have had equal success with the software utility

I just re-read your first post and I have to ask since you mention 30/30/30 reset....did this router have DD-WRT on it?

I just re-read your first post and I have to ask since you mention 30/30/30 reset....did this router have DD-WRT on it?

Hi John
The router was on the stock firmware when the Wifi stopped working due to a bad reset. DD-WRT was never on it.

At the moment I am able to ping the router at 192.168.1.1 . I am able to get on to the Asuswrt-Merlin Web GUI using only Internet Explorer. The strange thing is when I login in to the web gui it never asks for the default username and password.
I have attached a screen shot of the systems page from the web gui.
The Wifi Radio is still disabled.

Bummer, trust me I know your frustration.

The fact two of the sites top gurus responded here is a testament to the N66U's infamous flash conundrums when things dont go well.

For clarification, theres two methods to recovery.
Router Built in CFE Flash webserver
Asus Software Firmware restoration

Ive never had success with the software restoration utility, I always managed a way to get the built-in CFE Flash webserver (power cycle/reset router while trying to load webpage @ 192.168.1.1) page to come up and flashed that way, reading around, others have had equal success with the software utility

Hi Maverick

do you recommend flashing the router with Johns Fork as you had mentioned earlier. If yes, can you please advice on how to get on to the CFE Mini Web Server.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Big thanks to all who have taken out time to look at this issue.

Attachments

• System Info.JPG
    System Info.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 196
Hi John
The router was on the stock firmware when the Wifi stopped working due to a bad reset. DD-WRT was never on it.

At the moment I am able to ping the router at 192.168.1.1 . I am able to get on to the Asuswrt-Merlin Web GUI using only Internet Explorer. The strange thing is when I login in to the web gui it never asks for the default username and password.
I have attached a screen shot of the systems page from the web gui.
The Wifi Radio is still disabled.

Hi Maverick

do you recommend flashing the router with Johns Fork as you had mentioned earlier. If yes, can you please advice on how to get on to the CFE Mini Web Server.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Big thanks to all who have taken out time to look at this issue.
johns fork is the best to use right now. it also brings back the option to overclock the tx power on your router with ssh.

@dibs What happens if you try to flash John's firmware normally by using the GUI option (Administration - Firmware Upgrade)?

No wireless driver shown means it can't detect the wireless hardware and is likely some type of hardware related issue.

If you have another power supply, that would be my first thing to try. These often fail with age and can't supply sufficient power to bring up all the hardware.

The N66Us are also known for failing electrolytic capacitors on the system board. You could try opening up the router and do a visual inspection for any leaking, burned or 'bulging' components.