What's new

RT-n66u bridge mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Powerlines2000

New Around Here
Hi All

I currently use an n66u using with merlin firmware (upstairs at rear of house) and need to extend the range for my cable box downstairs at front). All other items laptops, phones etc. Are able to connect to the main router with good connections.

I have been given a second n66u and just trying to work out the best way of setting them/it to extend the range for the box.

Best setup, instructions, ideas?

Best is Ethernet cable from main router to cable box.

Next best would be a WiFi adapter with a really great antenna to plug into your cable box.

Third would be Monaro's suggestion of a router having sufficient radio range to communicate with your main router, but set up as a media bridge.

Hmm ok.

Bit of background.

Basically Virgin medias new V6 box does not have a built in modem so requires a connection and it gets sent with Netgear powerline to connect to their new hub 3 modem, but I am trying to avoid installing their new hub 3 as it is a pile of crap using the Puma 6 SoC and has massive latency and security issues.

Couple of questions, would Ethernet via the powerline into a spare port on the main router be a better option than a media bridge?
How does the media bridge option effect the wireless connection of the main router for other devices?

Thanks

Couple of questions, would Ethernet via the powerline into a spare port on the main router be a better option than a media bridge?
Success of powerline adapters varies, depending on distance, which side of the 240 volt circuit (in the US) the devices are on, and powerline noise generated by other machinery. You would have to try to find out.

How does the media bridge option effect the wireless connection of the main router for other devices?
Only that it steals airtime from the other devices. You can minimize that if you can limit all of the other devices to either 2.4 or 5GHz and put the bridge on the other band. You may not even notice any difference depending on how heavily the other devices are used.

after you setup second n66u as Media bridge you can log in to it and see your connection speed and Signal Strength, i get 380+450 mbps over 50 feet and 4 walls and 1 floor
You already have the unit why, not try it ?

i get 380+450 mbps over 50 feet and 4 walls and 1 floor
Don't mistake "connection speed" with actual throughput. You will be very lucky in the situation you describe to see 100Mbps (M, not m).

>Ethernet via the powerline in my experience only works well if signal can go to your destination without going to fuse box first …

Every time my AC turns on it kills signal on every powerline adapter I tried

AC is 240 volt so its seats on both lines …

Success of powerline adapters varies, depending on distance, which side of the 240 volt circuit (in the US) the devices are on, and powerline noise generated by other machinery. You would have to try to find out

>Ethernet via the powerline in my experience only works well if signal can go to your destination without going to fuse box first …

Every time my AC turns on it kills signal on every powerline adapter I tried

AC is 240 volt so its seats on both lines …

This is my worry as here in the UK most houses are split ring mains, so my downstairs ring and upstairs ring both go through the fuse board also consists of 20 year old twin and earth. Fine for power distro not great for data.

I ran a signal analyser last night at furthest point in the house and 2.4ghz is sitting about -83db and 5ghz about -86d. On average i get 75.7 Mbps DL and 6.2 Mbps upload over Wifi to my laptop (on my 100 Mbps connection), so think i will try the media bridge first on the 5ghz as everything else is on the 2.4 and see what I get.

Last edited: