What's new

RT N66U firmware update problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ruasonid

Regular Contributor
I know this has been covered in various posts (which I have looked at) but I have a persistent problem that I've yet been unable to clear.

I have in the past loaded DD-WRT, and Merlin to this router (actually had multiple routers) and successfully restored them to ASUS firmware. This one is proving a challenge.

Router was on DD-WRT
Router in recovery mode with power light blinking slowly
PC connected via LAN cable (no wireless)
No response to pings on 192.168.1.1
Can get to CFE miniWeb Server
Cannot telnet (Putty)
Firmware restoration utility sees the router, uploads file, and processes restore (system recovery in progress) - fails with failed to connect message, check LED's for recovery mode, etc.
CFE Web interface seems to attempt to load file, but browser loses session soon after I click upload
Tried with older 3264 firmware (working OK on my other ASUS router) and 7378
Tried the reset button/power on/WPS switch
Tried the 30/30/30 reset
Router reboots in recovery mode

So...

Tried the WPS/power off/power on/reset option and was able to ping
Tried firmware restore utility and again it failed as above
Tried the WPS/power off/power on/reset option and was able to ping
Cannot telnet (Putty) - timeout
CFE Web interface says "connecting", but browser loses session soon after I click upload
Still can ping 192.168.1.1

Ping times are 0ms, 0ms, 0ms
All above using Chrome browser
EDIT: tried IE but it will not connect

Any suggestions please?

Have you tried with this method ? All steps are important
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1030651/

30-30-30 is dont work with asus fw
With the utility, flash with 376.2524 or 378.55 ( merlin) and after with the fw you want

Thanks. Yes I followed those steps exactly and it fails at the end of step 5 (uploads file, system recovery in progress, at 100% I get the error message). I have not tried that fw version so will try it now. Thanks again.

OK that didn't work either.

Upload completes 100% then - Failed to connect to the wireless router. Check if the router's power LED is blinking, which denotes that the router is in rescue mode.

Only way I get to to be able to do the upload is power on holding WPS, then power off and reset button (which enters rescue mode with power light blinking slowly). Everything seems to go well until 100% as above.

Is there any clue in that I can (firstly) ping the router, but unable to telnet? After the recovery fails the power light is off and I cannot ping the router (until I Power/WPS/reset again).

Spoke too soon. I just turned to power down the router and put it away for today and found the wireless LED's on. Just logged into the admin screen and all seems to be well! Thanks again.

Ok , I have been having exactly the same problem . I also have the RT-N66U , with stock firmware ( pretty recent stock firmware)

Anyhow I have been running the recovery tool update with the Tomato firmware ( latest) . The firmware uploads then the recovery process starts gets to 99% then I get the 'failed to connect error' I have been trying for several hours retrying the above .
Spoke too soon. I just turned to power down the router and put it away for today and found the wireless LED's on. Just logged into the admin screen and all seems to be well! Thanks again.

However reading between the lines of the above , it seemed it was completing each time- without showing a complete message ?

So I guess I will just wait , despite not having the 'complete message'