What's new

RT-N66U in Bridge Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vondiesel

Occasional Visitor
My workplace (a university medical/research campus) is shut down due to concerns about spread of coronavirus, so I'm tele-working for the next 2 weeks. My old laptop is still a solid performer, but it has the world's worst WiFi card. It's an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230, and they're known to be garbage. I've had major connectivity issues the past 2 days. But a while back I replaced my old N66U with an AC86U (love it!!!), and I finally remembered that I still have the N66U. I pulled it out of storage, did a hard reset, then set it up in Media Bridge mode and connected it to my laptop with an ethernet cable. BOOM! Within a few minutes I had rock-solid connectivity over 5G with 450/450 speeds, and I didn't have to un-social-distance myself to go out and buy a new laptop or a USB WiFi dongle.

Modern problems require modern solutions. :)

Best of luck to all of you out there dealing with this rather unique situation. Stay well!

Dropping a very late additional note:
I figured longer ago that the RT-N66U in Bridge mode is happiest with a manual configured IP address.
I had my router (RT-AC68U) at 19.168.1.1 with the DHCP range starting at 192.168.1.3.
The RT-N66U in Bridge mode IP address 192.168.1.2, DNS and Default Gateway 192.168.1.1.

Dropping a very late additional note:
I figured longer ago that the RT-N66U in Bridge mode is happiest with a manual configured IP address.
I had my router (RT-AC68U) at 19.168.1.1 with the DHCP range starting at 192.168.1.3.
The RT-N66U in Bridge mode IP address 192.168.1.2, DNS and Default Gateway 192.168.1.1.

Better late than never. :)

Thanks for the tip. My 2 weeks at home turned into 2 months. Fortunately I was able to work at full effort the whole time. I ended up purchasing a new laptop with excellent WiFi, and I've been back to work for about 3 weeks.

But the old laptop will still be used at home by other family members, so I will still used the the N66U. I did notice some occasional disconnects, maybe once a week or so. A quick router reboot solved them, but I'll try the manual IP to see if stability is better that way. Cheers!