What's new

RT-N66U Keep Losing Internet Connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

carbotex

New Around Here
Hi,

I need some advice. We purchased RT-N66U router about 6 months ago. The router was excellent, never had any problem with it and never experience any drop connections either.

However, it has been losing the internet connection recently. Rebooting the router fixes the problem, however the problem is getting worse now. In good day, we don't have to reboot at all. Sometimes we have to reset more than 3 times a day.

I'm not sure what causing the problem. Could it be the increased number of connected users? From the control panel, it's showing around 35-50 connections, depending on how many people show up in the office.

We are using stock firmware ver 3.0.0.4.374.720 at the moment, we upgraded to this version when we started experience the lost connection issue.

How many connections this particular router can handle? Is it the hardware limitation or software limitation? Will changing the firmware to Tomato or to Merlin solve the problem?

Please advice

The latest merlin's firmware for N66U is RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.34_2. Are you suggesting to get the RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.32_0.zip instead for stability reason?

Explain exactly "losing internet connection"? Devices show disconnected from router? or... Web pages won't load and devices are connected to router? Wired devices? Wireless devices? Both?

If it's just internet and not device connection to router have you tried changing DNS servers? Try google's DNS servers..... 8.8.8.8 primary and 8.8.4.4 secondary. If you are using the default get DNS from your ISP they might just suck. Most do. Most get overloaded and websites fail to load. If this is your issue?

Last edited:
My rt-n66u has had similar problems recently, it requires reboots every now and then. It doesn't lose internet connection, but refuses new wifi connections and sometimes it takes several reboots to make it start properly. Firmware is Shibbys v114 AIO-64K, but problem existed with previous shibby builds too.

Hardware issue?:confused:

DSL drops

:confused: This is very interesting because my Asus RT-N66U has lately also been dropping DSL connections. The first interval was within a month then twice for two weeks. Have to have DSL office rebuild line to get connection back. Nothing wrong either with D-Link modem. DSL techs have been baffled as they cannot find anything to be causing the outages. Using Shibby v114 AIO firmware but a new version 115 was just released.

Losing Internet Connection:

We are unable to connect to outside world even with direct ip. All wifi connections.

When this happens, local networking is running fine. Restarting the router fixes the issue.

I can take you suggestion by using google's DNS servers.

I've had the RT-N66U for about 6 months and have never had it drop a DSL connection. Not once. I have used all stock firmware and all Merlin firmware.

DSL modems don't last long (typically 3-5 years). If you want to test to see if your modem is having problems, run the Netalyzr test and see if you have intermittent outages. If you do, it almost certainly means your DSL modem is failing. Because DSL modems don't usually just drop dead and die. They start acting up with intermittent drops.

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

You can also follow the basic troubleshooting steps in link below to see if it helps.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=12453

Post what you have in your log. Not everyone's Internet connectivity issue is the same, and it's impossible to diagnose without any details. It can be the ISP, it can be the modem, it can be the Ethernet cable, it can be the router configuration...

Post what you have in your log. Not everyone's Internet connectivity issue is the same, and it's impossible to diagnose without any details. It can be the ISP, it can be the modem, it can be the Ethernet cable, it can be the router configuration...

I know you are probably addressing carbotex, but reading my log I found this entry : possible DNS-rebind attack detected. :confused:

I know you are probably addressing carbotex, but reading my log I found this entry : possible DNS-rebind attack detected. :confused:

I'm talking in general. Saying you have WAN issues without posting any log makes it simply impossible to help people. Most of the time the cause for the drop is documented there.

DSL drops

I'm talking in general. Saying you have WAN issues without posting any log makes it simply impossible to help people. Most of the time the cause for the drop is documented there.

I see, I'll keep that in mind. Should a drop occur again I will post the log for evaluation.