What's new

RT-N66U keeps factory resetting itself

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Coldness

New Around Here
I apologize if this has been discussed before - I wasn't able to find anything similar.

As of several weeks ago, my RT-N66U has begun randomly factory resetting itself about once per week. It's the strangest thing - it doesn't drop connections or anything like it is having a hardware failure. It'll just one morning up and factory reset itself.

I've tried the basic stuff - flashing the newest firmware, flashing old, known good firmwares, making sure the unit itself is free of dust and such and not overheating, etc. I've tried changing nothing but the SSID/Passwords. I've kept an eye on the CPU/RAM usage and it's perfectly normal.

My most recent attempt was removing the WiFi antennas, disabling WiFi broadcast for both bands, and using it as a placebo 'switch' for ONE client. This client is a desktop that is used, at most, for a couple of hours at a time 2-3 days a week. Light traffic. It should not be overheating in this scenario. It lasted 9 or 10 days and factory reset itself again regardless.

Unfortunately, I'm out of warranty, and ASUS' support is useless beyond copying and pasting a 'flash the latest firmware' script. I have other routers laying around, so it's not a massive critical problem, but it is very frustrating considering how new the router is.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can try?

Is telnet, SSH or remote access enabled?

If so it may be someone from the WAN resetting the router.

Is trying RMerlin;s firmware an option? I've been using it for over a year and just checked uptime - 120 days.

Does the router just reboot or do you find it with all settings back to factory defaults?
Anway, if SSID and passwords are all that you change over the factory defaults, I can only think of faulty hardware.

Bad NVRAM?

Sounds like the flash memory may be NG. It is only good for a set amount of rewrite cycles.

Hello All!

I've just run into this issue with my ASUS RT-N66U ...

Today I came home and there were no WiFi connection on my phone... then I saw that the Wifi' names are ASUS and ASUS_5G ... and when I visited the 192.168.1.1 -> it got me to the main setting page...

My login was changed even the user name.

Is it really can be that it's resetting itself? :(

Any idea?

Lajos

Is it really can be that it's resetting itself?

It happens, especially during the winter here where electrostatic discharges are quite common. Yesterday I had a service call to resolve that very same issue, a customer's Netgear had reset itself back to its factory defaults.

Could it possibly be that he has one of the first units with 32k nvram and it reset when the nvram got full.

Could it possibly be that he has one of the first units with 32k nvram and it reset when the nvram got full.

nvram was increased to 64 KB through a firmware upgrade.

NVRAM usage 50433 / 65536 bytes

I don't know what is this NVRAM contains and can contain, but that above is 77% full.
And only SAMBA and MiniDLNA is turned on, no other software used, even QoS is turned off.

nvram was increased to 64 KB through a firmware upgrade.

that was some time back...

with direct NAND/NOR addressing, always ugly there...

At some point, need to get away from this - but AsusWRT-RMerlin, it's Asus that need to do this one...

Been there with mobile phones, and it's ugly...

that was some time back...

with direct NAND/NOR addressing, always ugly there...

At some point, need to get away from this - but AsusWRT-RMerlin, it's Asus that need to do this one...

Been there with mobile phones, and it's ugly...

Having seen that the new BCM4908 HND SDK STILL uses only 128 KB of nvram space (same as the recent models based on SDK7), makes me wonder if someone back at Broadcom HQ still codes on a Commodore 64 or something. There's 128 MB of NAND available total, and even the CFE code runs in 64-bit mode - get on with the times, and bump that space to at least 1 MB, FFS...

Having seen that the new BCM4908 HND SDK STILL uses only 128 KB of nvram space (same as the recent models based on SDK7), makes me wonder if someone back at Broadcom HQ still codes on a Commodore 64 or something. There's 128 MB of NAND available total, and even the CFE code runs in 64-bit mode - get on with the times, and bump that space to at least 1 MB, FFS...

Would be nice to see a bit more RAM these days - 512GB is common on 10 dollar hacker boards - it's not a bit cost add, that along with eMMC, which is already supported in the kernel, and is much friendlier to work with that direct NAND.

As for moving out of NVRAM over to something better - Qualcomm did this back in the 2004 timeframe when they did the shift from NOR to NAND support, and the transition from nvitems to a filesystem oriented approach was worlds better, even though there was some short term pain with their proprietary REX RTOS (part of AMSS/DMSS)...

One can only hope (if I recall, there is a couple of vendors doing eMMC now, Google WiFi and Netgear's Orbi stuff - might be others)