What's new

RT-N66U LPR Printing after IP address change

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ackhold

New Around Here
Hi All,

This issue is driving me crazy so I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I have an Asus RT-N66U router running the stock firmware (3.0.0.4.380_3831-g93dfe8c) and a Cannon iX6550 which is connected via USB. In the past this worked fine however I recently had to change my router IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.5.1 as I was having problems VPN'ing into my office PC as that is also on a network running 192.168.1.XXX addresses. Now the printer periodically stops working until I reset the router at which point it works again... for a while.

I've been banging my head against the wall with this for a while now so here's what I know...
  • I am connecting to the printer via LPR as described here https://www.asus.com/support/faq/114024
  • After changing the routers IP address I removed the old port that pointer to 192.168.1.1 and created a new one pointing to 192.168.5.1
  • If I reset the router it works for a few hours (not sure how long exactly) after that I just get errors when trying to print
  • Turning the printer off and on again has no effect, same with PC's and I have this issue on multiple PC's all running Windows 10.
  • Router can see the printer and identifies it as the correct make/model and says it's "enabled"

While troubleshooting the problem I have tried:
  • Updating the router firmware
  • Updating the printer driver
  • Completely uninstalling the printer drive, removing the port, rebooting the PC and re-adding it all
  • Using the other USB port on the router

Basically I'm pretty sure it's the router that's the problem as doing a power cycle temporarily fixes the issue however I don't know what else to do to confirm this or what to do to get additional information or fix the issue. Any suggestions?

If I can't figure this out is it worth trying the Merlin firmware? otherwise I'm probably going to need to get a separate print server... which I don't have enough ethernet ports for, so I'll need a switch as well, seems like that's an over engineered solution.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated, thanks.

Unfortunately the problem you are having with your printer connected to a USB port on your router is not uncommon. Doesn't seem to be a high priority for router manufacturers other than giving the marketing department another feature to advertise.

Having gone through much of what you have I finally gave up and connected my printer directly to my LAN using its built in Ethernet port. End of problems. Unfortunately I don't believe your printer has an Ethernet port.

The only thing I can recommend is that you assign your printer a static IP either from the router or the printer directly.

Also trying Merlin's firmware might help, but the driver for USB printers is probably something he inherited from ASUS so your results may be no different.

The only thing I can recommend is that you assign your printer a static IP either from the router or the printer directly.

Concur - had too many issues with letting the printer take a DHCP assignment, I finally just set it up as static IP (HP OfficeJet) - connects over wireless...

Hi Both, thanks for your replies, really appreciate the help. Sorry if this is a daft question but can I assign a static IP? as you mentioned there's no ethernet port (more's the pity :( ) so it's connected via USB, I've just had a quick look in the LAN section of the admin interface to see if I could assign an IP to it anyway but unless it's being give a strange client name I'm not seeing it in the list, that's what I'd expect for a USB device but I don't know that much when it come to networking so let me know if I'm being dum.

I guess that just leaves me with either the Merlin firmware or a separate print server...